Planning my first veggie garden

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Planning my first veggie garden

Postby oceanaussi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:48 am

Hi there,

I'm planning my first vegetable garden. I know I'm a bit late but due to earth moving works at my new place, I wasn't able to start beforehand. The land which will become my vegetable garden is now level. And in a couple of weeks I can start on it. But I have a few questions:

1. I'm planning the veggie garden right next to the house as I want to use greywater on the crops and that is where the greywater is. However, there's 2 bedroom windows towards the veggie garden and I was wondering if the smell might be too strong. :oops: Please don't laugh. I assume that I will be putting compost/blood and bone on there on a regular basis, so I'm just wondering if the smell is too strong?

2. I'm planning to have the veggie garden fenced off with a path in the middle and then paths to the left and right towards the rows of veggies. I'm planning to plant by group,eb root crops, salad crops, stem vegetables, leafy vegetables ect.Is that the right approach?

3. I'm using Michael Pollock's book 'Fruit & Vegetable Gardening in Australia' as a guide. However,I have no idea what grows in my area and what doesn't. I live west of Rockhampton, QLD. Any idea where I can find a plan which tells me what I can plant where and when?

Thank you!
oceanaussi
Cultivator

Re: Planning my first veggie garden

Postby gardenlen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:21 am

g'day,

first a visit to our page to see our presentations, then try a search of GE i may have posted pic's of our latest gardens using corrugated roofing as edges.

you need to keep all plantings around 2 meters away from the house, this is part of your termite protection. our gardens are around 10+ meters from the house and other plants up to 30 meters or so away, but we still utilise grey water fresh from the house by bucketing. no smell from well mulched vege' garden except maybe the smell of fresh vege's growing. we don't use fertilisers, just mushroom compost, mulch and tuck our rottables from the kitchen under the mulch along with spent vege' plants. last i heard blood and bone only smelt like blood and bone but contained almost no matter from the abattoirs they use that in other ways.

run the beds in a southern/northern aspect, paths take up growing space, our beds usually 6mX1m in dimension and what ever height you want, the roofing height for us is great, and these new beds produced edible produce in under 2 moths from go to woe.

plant waht you need in your diet and what your family or you will eat, we preffer above ground producers, tomatos capsicums, beans zucchinis silverbeet, we do our potatos away from the garden utilise unused lawn space over winter, and sweet potatos can be grown in pots. pumpkins take a lot of area, but cumbers can be trellised.

for us no books really needed just ask around.

you can pretty much grow anything sub-tropical in season, you season may start earlier or go longer depends, water will be main issue so heaps of mulch, and at least 1 water tank around 25k/l cap', aspect of land plays a big part, preferred for vege's and eastern to northern aspect, southern ok if no large structures or trees near by to block winter sun for your brassicas, most vege' plants like near on full sun maybe reduced arvo' sun, so north can be a little too much in summer but perfect in winter. morning sun to around 10am in summer perfect.

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/photopo ... 07&cat=500

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/photopo ... ns&cat=500

no real plan our land contours determine our plan, build beds across the contours controls run off water in your favour. the longer you keep water on your property the better, as we seem to be coming into a dry summer, dunno maybe even back into drought for a bit, so a well composted (mushroom compost or similar garden and well mulched) will be the best.

by seedlings might also be the go, it is a bit later to germinate seeds if you want to be eating sooner than later.

keep us informed

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby oceanaussi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am

Hi Len and thank you very much for your reply and advice! (Y)

I'm planning not to worry about raised garden beds but to put everything straight into the ground with paths around it. The area is 10 x 15 m - hopefully that will be sufficient. Can't wait to start!!!

I've attached a plan of how I was thinking setting the area up. Any suggestions/comments?
Attachments
Veggie Garden.jpg
oceanaussi
Cultivator

Postby tam » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 pm

It looks a good set up.
A lot of your plants are seasonal so some won't be planted till Autumn.
I agree with Len, give yourself a barrier between the house and your garden. The minimum I would leave is 1mtr.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby gardenlen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:50 am

yep good lookin' layout.

things to consider how much sun the garden will get importantly in winter winter vege's need a good 6 hours sun. house, fence and trees in the sun equation. morning sun important in summer so shade from aroud 10ish is ok.

for effective termite barrier no plantings within 2 meters of the house, that starts with a 1 meter dry zone then another meter for pathway, anything like gardens and paths up against foundations can be haven for termites.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce