Propagating Mix - Coconut Coir + ?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Propagating Mix - Coconut Coir + ?

Postby abrogard » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 pm

I've been happily using coconut compressed coir bricks and 'sharp' sand as a seed propagating mix but now I'm getting a bit tired of paying Bunnings $7 or whatever it is for every tiny little bag of sand.

I don't mind buying the coir. Quite an effort getting that off the coconut, compressing it, packing it, shipping it to me and not something you find lying around.

But sand? In Australia?

But I can't find any comparable 'sharp' sand around anywhere. Strangely enough. When the Murray goes down I guess it'll be all along the banks but until then all I can find is like builder's sand - fine stuff that is inappropriate for the job.

And when I google for alternatives I find vermiculite and perlite which is pretty much the same expense as buying sand i think.

Anyone know a substitute - or even a source of this 'sharp' sand?

:)
abrogard
Curator

Re: Propagating Mix - Coconut Coir + ?

Postby tam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Have you tried landscape suppliers. Most will sell by the bucket.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby karyn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Get a big bag of vermiculite or perlite instead?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:43 am

I don't know about Murray Bridge, but most of the landscape suppliers around here carry a few different grades of sand. Another place worth trying might be a concrete supplier - last time I looked they had about 6 different types.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for that. Yes, one of our two landscape materials providers has what they assure me is exactly what I want. At $45/tonne...

Bit better than the Bunnings stuff.

Marked down for 'Clearance' at $5 for a 5 litre bag. Yes, they marked it in litres, don't know why. But wet, packed sand has an SG of 2 so there's a max of 10kg sand. So 50c a kg. Not a bad markup, eh?

:)
abrogard
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce