Strawberry problem. Please HELP!

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Strawberry problem. Please HELP!

Postby kotik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 pm

I have great difficulty in maintaining my strawberries. I seem to kill them as quickly as I buy them. I have two problems, one of which I am pretty sure is caused by a caterpillar of some type.

Problem 1. What is best way of controlling the caterpillars if this is what it is? I have looked and was only able to find one on one plant. I have 4 plants all in pot affected in same way. Every morning I find more leaves that have been "chopped" off as in pic below.
2.jpg
Apart from the holes in the plant you can see where the stem has been almost cut clean off. Could this be a caterpillar? I was thinking it might be birds too(i have lots of minor birds eating the berries)
1.jpg

Problem 2:
Leaves die off and plant eventually(within a week) completely died as well First one leaf then another and all died off and now plant seems completely dead. Crown looks dry as well. Is this a problem of too much water, a disease, too strong a fertilizer? I added a weak liquid fertiliser.
4.jpg

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME. Hope you can help me out.
kotik
Lawn trimmer

Re: Strawberry problem. Please HELP!

Postby kotik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:55 am

anybody? somebody? hello? :)
kotik
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Sorry I can't help as I have never had anything nibble the leaves. I wouldn't be too concerned if it is only a few leaves.
Slugs and wild ducks are my problem with the fruit but a fenced off area stopped the ducks.
Our strawberry season is nearly over as they are starting to send out runners.
Hope you get to enjoy your strawberrys.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby kotik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Unfortunately the damage is pretty bad. Just about all the leaves have been eaten or chopped through. I can even see on some of the leaves along the stem, as the bug has been moving up or down where it has stopped for a chew, then moved on and chewed again. And at places it juts chews through the stem of the leaf which kills the whole leaf. This is in addition to the leaves themselves being eaten with holes as you can see in the pic above. I live in Wollongong, NSW so hoping i can still get some strawberries this season to share with my 2 year old son who loves them. The bought ones even though he loves I find really plane, acidic and tasteless. I was hoping to give him a taste of a real home grown strawberry.
kotik
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Maybe check on them during the night to see if you can find anything. Failing that can you net them?
Take your mulch off and see if anything is under it. Sorry i am not more helpful.
As I said, I have never had anything eat the leaves on mine.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby kotik » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am

Yeah, i have done all of what you have suggested. at first I thought that it was the birds too but it isn't. The birds seem to only eat the ripe fruit. I am pretty sure its some type of caterpillar. I have a lot of shadow in my garden so i planted in pots so i can move them around during the day so they can get as much sun as possible. Putting netting up will make the process tedious.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Cheers.
kotik
Lawn trimmer

Postby valleyshots » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm

It does look like caterpillar damage in the first picture. The other plant could be from the soil heating up too much (being in fairly small terracotta pots), strawberries like a consistant soil temperature rather than large fluctuations.
valleyshots
Pruner

Postby Stormgirl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 am

I've been getting a lot of damage that looks like that in my strawberries and other plants, recently....couldn't work it out until I found a big fat green grasshopper of some sort amongst the leaves. They are difficult to see and hop away quickly when disturbed. :evil:
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby jayendra » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm

I've had some luck but mostly unluck for growing strawberries.

I've narrowed it down to not letting them dry out or be too damp.
They also need constant feeing but not over feeding or you get too many runners and leaves.

The best one I grew were in fresh compost in a wicking bed.
Anything in pots has been a disaster.

This year I'm going to grow them in aquaponics system.
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce