Please advise on starting an organic vegetable garden

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Please advise on starting an organic vegetable garden

Postby camille73 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 am

I am going to start an organic vegetable garden. Before I start I am going to order a corrugated steel raised garden bed with a netting system, which is supposed to keep the insects off the vegetables especially in the summer. What I am wanting to know is advice on organic gardening; like the soil to place in the bed, will the mesh (see link below) keep the insects off my vegetables, which is the best organic manure to use, etc. In a nutshell, I just don't know what to do, even where to start. I don't want to use any pesticides, as I need this garden to be pesticide free - purely organic.

I have found out that my local Mitre 10 supplies organic seedlings, they said that they are grown in a hot house, so that is where I am going to purchase most of my plants.

The vegetables I am wanting to plant are kale, spinach, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, cucumber, romaine lettuce, zucchini, carrots, celery, cabbage, beetroot and cauliflower. Preferrably to be grown all year round, if possible, especially kale. I don't want to order the garden bed and the mesh without advice about growing all year round. I have heard of companion planting, but don't know out of the mentioned which plants go together.

Garden bed mesh link: http://www.birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=78&category_id=22&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100028

Raised garden bed link: http://www.birdiesgardenproducts.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=109&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100009

If anyone could please post any advice it will be appreciated.
camille73
Lawn trimmer

Re: Please advise on starting an organic vegetable garden

Postby greg.l » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm

The system looks ok but a bit limited for room. Some vegies need lots of room, but maybe you don't have much space. Tomatoes won't fit very well under that netting, but some vegies like lettuce don't take much space. You can make a soil mix yourself with coarse sand and compost/manure. You would need organic fertiliser like blood and bone.
They say "The only reason to access your veggies is to Pick and Fertilise." They forgot about weeding and watering. An automatic watering system with dripper tube works well for vegies.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby camille73 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Thank you Greg for your advice.

Do have any suggestions on netting for keeping the insects off the vegetables? I do have some hardware/gardening stores in Moree (near where I live), or I could purchase it online, preferrably from a reputable online store.
camille73
Lawn trimmer

Postby gardenlen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:44 am

g'day camille,

we are this time using corrugated sides for our gardens, simply can't afford those made up pretty ones so we are using roofing 6 meters long and 1 meter wide, a good size for all vege' plants.

we are filling ours in the bottom with tree branches that we had plenty of much like hugelkultur, we also have a lot of top soil piled up from creating our building site, but we still top off with mushroom compost and currently raked up slashed grass from local properties.

we bought some of our roofing corro' new makes for about $130 per garden + star pickets, but we now have some second hand roof in top condition going to cost around $50 per bed with star pickets, all looks good won't pass a gardening prize garden but very functional for us no more stooping too easy really.

see our bale garden presentation:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

in your case try and source top soil from a building site, if it is clayey (likely) use heaps of gypsum

the second hand older style galv' is not as wide as the new stuff it is around 140mm lower still just as good.

len
Attachments
100_1072 oct garden pic.jpg
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby camille73 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks for the ideas gardenlen. I will take that into consideration when planning my organic vegetable garden. I was looking at the Birdies Garden Bed because I am thinking to the future, as I am living at home at the moment, I was thinking maybe I could take that garden bed with me when I move out.

Also we have a Labrador here who will get into the vegetable garden, if we don't prevent in some way of getting into it, anyway your garden bed looks like our Labrador wouldn't be able to get into the vegetable garden.
camille73
Lawn trimmer

Postby jayendra » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 pm

If you don't want to water all the time, consider doing a wicking bed :)
ImageImage
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce