Zucchini 2nd crop?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Zucchini 2nd crop?

Postby Geoff Clifton » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:45 am

In Nowra our Zucchini are probably at their peak right now and will crop for another month or so.
Any thoughts on putting in some seed for a second crop to follow on? I don't know how specific their timing is.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Re: Zucchini 2nd crop?

Postby VRON » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Zucchinis will normally crop throughout the whole of the warmer months and even well into the Autumn months before the cooler nights of the encroaching Winter stops them in their tracks. My experience has been that 2 or 3 plants will normally feed a family plus the neighbours so hopefully you didnt resow for later cropping otherwise you may well have been totally inundated by Zucchinis by now. If you are, there are many wonderful dishes you can make with a glut of Zucchinis; they lend themselves well to both sweet and savoury meals and treats, my favourite would probably be using them in cakes and muffins as they make them wonderfully moist and decadent. Chocolate Zucchini cake is truly divine!
Regards,

Veronica
Horticulturist
Garden Express
VRON
Cultivator

Re: Zucchini 2nd crop?

Postby gardenlen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:12 am

g'day geoff,

may depend on how much zucchini you eat? the ones you have will produce for a time as yet all depends and variable, when PM shows on older leaves that is a good indicator the plant has done its stretch. but certainly i'd suggest plant more, if you get a glut i'm sure family/friends/neighbours will take them off your hands.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce