Windfall fruit

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Windfall fruit

Postby Rosie's Mum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 am

Our fruit is coming online - gradually ripening but not ready for picking yet. Some trees have quite a lot of windfall fruit lying around underneath them, others not. I've read that it's best to gather the fallen fruit and compost it rather than leave it lying around as it attracts insects, presumably the wrong kind. Is this correct? Is it OK to compost? Any other suggestions? We're mainly talking apples here.

Be the person your dog thinks you are
Rosie's Mum
Pruner

Re: Windfall fruit

Postby karyn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:58 pm

I run the mower over it and compost it, mainly because we've had European Wasp problems before. This year, touch wood, there are far fewer wasps for some reason. We don't have fruit fly here, but that might be an issue in other areas.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Rosie's Mum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks Karyn. Does the fruit have to be chopped or is it OK to throw it on the compost whole?
Be the person your dog thinks you are
Rosie's Mum
Pruner

Postby karyn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm

You can chuck it on whole, it just takes longer to break down. The sulphur crested cockies are into my pears, they pick the pear, bite chunks out of them, drop the bits, and eat the seeds. They then drop the rest of it and reach for the next one. I get left with mountains of rock hard half pears, I think they'd break the mower blades if I tried to mow them! They break down with no problems in the compost cages, and I'll try them in the tumbler this year as well.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce