Tips on newbies first citrus trees

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Tips on newbies first citrus trees

Postby bege » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

Hi all, new to this forum. Any one got any tip s for me on planting citrus trees for the first time, bought a mandarin and lemonade tree on the week end and have put them in large pots for now until I work out where ill be planting them out. I live in central vic and our soil or out here it is hard dirt with plenty of sandstone rock so just about any garden bed will be raised. I currently have a few large compost bins with horse poo, shredded cardboard and straw from the chook pen ageing but will this ideal when it has broken down or will I need to mix something else with it?. Any help would be great. Cheers, Brad.
bege
Weeder

Re: Tips on newbies first citrus trees

Postby Getafix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm assuming the "hard dirt" you are describing is clay based, but it is worth checking given you said there is a lot of sandstone about. It's probably worthwhile doing a "soil percolation test" as well to see what the drainage is like, but given what you describe, I think your plan of raised beds is a very good idea. Where I first planted my citrus, they ended up getting wet feet, so they sat there and did nothing for 12 months, so dug them up again and they are doing better now. Aged manure and compost is pretty much a good idea whatever the soil type, and a spot in full sun if possible.
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Re: Tips on newbies first citrus trees

Postby Temora140 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 pm

As Getafix said, raised bed with lots of organic compost will be a great start. Make certain that they get regular watering and at least 2 doses of Potassuim Sulphate per year plus Citrus fertilser, Spring, Summer and Autumn. It does not have to be Citrus fertiliser but it's just easy to remember.
Temora140
Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce