Bees (declining numbers?)

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Re: Bees (declining numbers?)

Postby jaden62 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 pm

They are both on trees. One just around the corner from my house, the other about 1km from my house. Both out in full view - the bees from the second lot of pics I saw when we drove past them this morning, the first lot of pics came from the bees that I saw while walking home.

I didn't dare try to get closer for any better pics, I had the dog with me, & I was a bit concerned that he might disturb them. He was MOST interested in what mum was looking at :lol:

I just can't work out why I've had hardly any bees around, even when I have had flowers, if this many bees are so close by.

I tried looking for information to see if I could find a bee keeper who might want to come & get them, but even the apiarists society website said something about "if you've found a swarm or nest, call your council or a pest controller". Does this mean they get killed off, or does it mean that the pest controllers have apiarists on call to come & move them on?
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby jaden62 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 am

Good news. I finally managed to find someone to rescue the hive yesterday. I rang him & within half an hour he was there collecting the main part of the hive, & he came back after dark to collect up the stragglers etc. The council was just going to poison them.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby tam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

The council was just going to poison them.

Makes you wonder how many swarms they have killed off.
At the moment bees need all the help they can get.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby jaden62 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 am

Well, when I headed past the tree on my way to work yesterday morning, the council was there throwing poison all around the place. Even though I had reported it to the council in the first place (before I was told they would probably poison them), I'm glad they took their sweet time coming out to do anything.

Before I found the guy to rehome them, I rang around to try to speak to someone & got hold of a beekeeping supplier. He told me that the councils usually don't bother finding an apiarist to rehome the bees, they just poison them "due to the difficulty in capturing the hive/swarm & insurance liability". So I hit the white pages (the yellow hadn't given me much joy) & found someone fairly locally who was prepared to just drop everything & run after the hive. On my way home Thurs evening I saw most of the hive was gone, but some of the bees were still there & there was "something" sitting under the tree (I couldn't identify what it was as I drove past), & was glad that at least most of the hive seemed to have been rescued. Later that evening a lady went past & started talking to me about it & said she'd been speaking to the man who was there collecting the last of the bees & the rest of his equipment. Still a few "lost stragglers" around the tree yesterday, but at least the hive has been rescued.

The lady I spoke to on the street had said she'd been speaking to the bee-capturer (bee-wrangler?? ... bee-herder??) & that he'd offered to assist her in setting up a small hive in her backyard to help pollinate her fruit trees & said that if I want, she'll get him to help me do the same. I'm not in the situation where I could do that just at the moment, but I'm thinking it would be a good thing. The only bit I'm not sure about is that apparently the man living next door is "deathly allergic" to bees, & they don't know if their little boys are allergic or not. I'm not sure how it would go with a hive next door to them.

Anyway, good thing is that the bees were saved, & I now know who to ring if I see another hive/swarm.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby tam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 am

Glad they were rescued. At least we know not to ring the council if a swarm is spotted.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 am

jaden62 wrote: The only bit I'm not sure about is that apparently the man living next door is "deathly allergic" to bees, & they don't know if their little boys are allergic or not. I'm not sure how it would go with a hive next door to them.

I'm guessing there would be a native stingless variety that lives in your climate
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby jaden62 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 am

I wasn't so much thinking of the native bees, because I have asked hubby to make me some "hidey-holes" for them (though I may get to & make them myself shortly if he doesn't get off his........), but he - always thinking of his stomach - thought it might be nice if we can have our own home-grown honey. But if I can get some native homes set up first, that will at least help in that situation, & I can look @ the other later.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby ColinM » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Great pics jaden 8) - there is no shortage of bees at our place, that's for sure - perhaps attracted by the pond water - there is not many other water sources around her available for them.
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby MacMaples » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm

tam wrote:Glad they were rescued. At least we know not to ring the council if a swarm is spotted.

+1
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby oz koala » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 pm

The bees loving some sedum
Wendy
http://cheekyscrubwren.blogspot.com.au/
oz koala
Propagator

Postby MacMaples » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:45 am

Oh, what a lovely pic!
I just came across this article about the annual survey in the US. http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... -buzz?lite
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:38 am

Watch this clip......rather enlightening...man will be his own undoing...IMO.....

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/Documentary/Re ... AIwRaHgFkT
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby jayendra » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 pm

There are heaps of bees in my garden atm - they love the basil flowers.
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Postby karyn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 pm

jayendra wrote:There are heaps of bees in my garden atm - they love the basil flowers.

So does my bunny!! :D
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 am

karyn wrote:
jayendra wrote:There are heaps of bees in my garden atm - they love the basil flowers.

So does my bunny!! :D

So do pale-headed rosellas
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby jayendra » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm

:) cute
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Postby Hoochy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I know this is an old topic that I'm revamping, however, it's certainly not a topic that will ever stop being discussed.

I have the ANSWER as to why bee's are in huge decline. ok, maybe I didn't come up with the answer, however, I have been doing plenty of research and have since got my head around it all and only one person to date has been able to work out why this is.

I'm an Electrician and as such, naturally I have a huge interest in anything electrical. Magnetic fields are something that exists all around us as well as frequency and in this case resonance. Resonance frequency exists everywhere. You have a frequency as does a tree or any living creatures. Many animals and insects have in-built navigations systems of which they use the earth's magnetic field to locate food, water, their home as well as migration paths. It acts like a compass and the earth is their reference point due to the magnetic field that exists within it.

Bee's have a organism within them or a compound if you will called magnetite. It's what fuels their navigation systems and hence why a bee can always find it' way home, however, after years and years of technological advancement, we've created mobile phones, blue tooth and wireless technology, all these digital radio stations as well as millions of other radio frequencies. What has happened is the bee's as well as other animals are getting confused. They can no longer detect the earth's resonance frequency in order locate food or their return path home and as such they get confused and simply lost. This is the reason so many migration habits of animals are in disarray as well as bee's not returning to their homes.

Bee's declining was first noticed in the later 2000's and many scientists had theories but none that could be proven and as such no one could work out what was going on until one person did a simple project.

He had 7 bee hives all lined up to one another and then he placed a cordless phone on the centre hive. All the bee's went out for the day foraging for pollen etc. The hive where the handset was sitting on not a single bee came back, but in a radius pattern, the ones a bit further away saw some come back and the ones furtherest away had all of them come back. He proved that all these frequencies we emit into our atmosphere are throwing all these navigation systems the animals use into a heap.

These signals also affect YOU! I can prove it. Do you sleep with mobile phones and cordless phones on your bedside table or on your bed head? If so I can only imagine you have your own opinion on sleep patterns and how well you sleep under certain conditions. Remove all wireless signals from your room, better yet, turn them all off including any that exist in the house. Then spend a week going to bed each night with every wireless signal including cordless phones off. I can almost guarantee you'll find it was the best week of sleep you've had.

If you still have doubts or struggle to grasp the concept, watch this documentary. It explains everything in detail but also will help you understand why these things happen and how they effect you, bee's and everything else.

http://www.watoday.com.au/tv/Documentar ... 21309.html

So for all of those who were chasing their answers as to why bee's kept vanishing, you now have your answer ;)
Hoochy
Pruner

Postby greg.l » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 pm

I had a walking holiday in England in May and there were no bees to be seen at all, apart from a few solitary bumblebees. Whole fields of canola and not a single bee. I did see large spray rigs out spraying fields. Due to the human population density the natural areas in England are getting squeezed by roads and development, the traffic is incredible. The natural environment has lost its resilience so that when they get some bad seasons it is very hard for wild animals to recover their populations. Pollution, pesticides, traffic, loss of habitat, it all adds up to ecosystems under great pressure.

Luckily where I live it is mostly hobby farms, we don't get much broadacre spraying. I get lots of bees and other insects, but when I see what is happening in Europe it is a warning of what could happen here.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Keo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Ok I know I'm going to get a hard time for this but I just don't get the big deal. Feral bees are a pest and we should be actively eradicating them to help our native bees and other wildlife. They are the reason we don't have many native bees around. I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a hive occupying a hollow that could be used by a parrot, bat or possum etc. I don't think we will ever get rid of them, i just think like other feral's they need to be controlled or at the very least not encouraged. Sorry but when I come across a hive it will be the exterminator not an apiarist that is called.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby MacMaples » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:49 am

Just came across these this week.
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/epa-issu ... 6C10931490
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/ ... 824974.htm

I'm inclined to agree with the comment in the first that "Multiple factors play a role in bee colony declines".

I must admit the number of tv channels now broadcasting worry me. For a while it was nice that we had more choice than the ABC and one commercial channel I remember from my childhood, but in recent years they seem to be adding more channels regularly, and the most recent have been shopping channels. That's a lot of signals which IMO don't really contribute much to society.

Thank you Hoochy and Midgin for those links, I'm interested to check them out.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit and Produce