Bees (declining numbers?)

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Re: Bees (declining numbers?)

Postby gardenlen » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 am

strange for bees to build their cone outside in teh open, usually they find someplace like a way into your wall cavity or hollow tree, take the spot from native bees.

are they still hanging there? call and apiarist, for best advice, he may take the swarm and you end up with the honey.

anyhow for the sake of native bees not good to let honey bees establish in the bush. worried about bee stocks don't use insecticides on flowering plants, bee keepers tend to keep their bees away from the suburbs, for that reason, we get good mobs of honey and native's on our flowers.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Digga » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 pm

From reading articles from the USA it seems that canola seed is treated before planting, the fungicide (infects) the whole plant even the pollen,bees take the pollen and hive populations plummet . Professional apiarists are now becoming wary of supplying hives to canola farms as they have a very reduced population when the season is over.
Digga
Weeder

Postby MacMaples » Fri May 30, 2014 1:50 am

Apparently the weather has been creating difficulties. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... zrqvk.html
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby kitacooch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:58 pm

I had the same problem 5 years ago, now i have several bee hives and harvest awesome honey for my friends and family, and eliminated my pollination issues. In Europe bee keeping is a part of the gardening exp and Aust needs to do the same i think. Our ways are killing off the wild stoke so they need all the help they can get.
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby karyn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 pm

I agree, I have 2 hives in my backyard and everything gets pollinated. Unfortunately my local council would fine me and I would have to get rid of the hives if they found out. They're classed as "dangerous animals" here. I do get the odd smaller native bee, but there have never been many around this area that I'm aware of. There's also a feral hive in the redgum across the road. My hives have swarmed twice, which is more of a management problem on my apiarist's behalf than anything else, and luckily the swarms settled in the exact same spot so were easy to box up.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce