Deformed and weird strawberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Deformed and weird strawberries

Postby justjoyful » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 pm

I have some of those lovely pink flowering strawberry plants, and they were producing strawberries very well at first, but now I've been getting basically all deformed fruit, and some fruit where the seeds appear to have flowered (?) on the fruit.

I'll have to try to describe them, though, as when I try to attach photos, I'm told the board attachment quota has been reached.

The deformed fruit start out looking normal, but then as they grow, the bit that has the seeds on it doesn't get any bigger at all, and only the bit below that grows. Because only that small part is growing, not the seeds part, it doesn't grow very much, and the bit with the seeds on it gets hard and tough.

The other problem is on fruit that haven't even started ripening. They appear to be normal fruit, except for the fact that the seeds have "flowered" - they kind of look like lavender flowers, if that makes any sense.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I water and feed (with Seasol and worm wee, alternately every couple of weeks) the plants regularly.

Thanks,
Joy
justjoyful
Propagator

Re: Deformed and weird strawberries

Postby Stormgirl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about and I believe it was discussed on this very forum a while back.

I'm not sure if anyone was able to come up with a definite diagnosis...My plants do this on occasion, too, but I think it's an actual plant issue rather than the plant acting strangely only occasionally.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16960&p=175878&hilit=strawberry+seeds#p175878
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby tam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm

I pulled mine out. The fruit that [never] came off them wasn't worth the space.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby justjoyful » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks, Stormgirl, for the link to the other post. I always have trouble finding previous discussions about what I want to know, because the search seems to return so many results that I get tired trying to find the relevant one.

Anyway, my strawberries with furry seeds look just like the ones spoken about in that post, so I'd say it is the problem. Maybe the other problem I have (where the fruit doesn't develop where the seeds are, but below them) is also a symptom of the same disease.

I'm still getting a few strawberries that are normal, so I will keep the plants for them, but once the season is over, I'll just pull them out and start again next year with new plants. A real pity, though, as the plants themselves look very healthy.
justjoyful
Propagator

Postby Stormgirl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:57 pm

The other problem is definitely related...it seems to stunt the part where the alien seeds are, so any normal parts just swell out of shape. Try and isolate the affected plant, and just pull that out rather than all of them.
Stormgirl
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce