Floury Peaches

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Floury Peaches

Postby justjoyful » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm

I have a dwarf peach tree, given to me by a friend a year ago. I planted it in one of those half wine barrel things (not a real wine barrel, but one of those ones you can get from Flower Power) when it was given to me.

This year it had about 10 or 11 peaches on it. Most of them got eaten (or partly, at least) by our resident rodents (rats, I think), but one survived for long enough for me to taste it. Whilst it wasn't ripe as far as the skin being peachy coloured, it was soft enough. But when I tasted it, it was very floury.

What causes the peaches to be floury?

Thanks,
Joy
justjoyful
Propagator

Re: Floury Peaches

Postby Stormgirl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 pm

I thought long refrigeration times caused them to be floury?? Maybe they just come off the tree like that.

Might be the type you have, but somehow I doubt it...maybe it needs more water. It is a real challange to grow fruit trees in pots. I would take it out of the pot and plant in the ground in winter, if you can.
Stormgirl
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce