Meyer lemon in pots question

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Meyer lemon in pots question

Postby karyn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 am

I bought 2 Meyer lemons in half wine barrels from a friend. They're incredibly heavy, and he told me the soil is very compacted as every time the level got low he put more potting mix in and pressed it down. I know the trees need a heavy water and feed, but what do I do about the soil? Should I remove some and try to aerate the remainder with a garden fork? Or would disturbing the roots be worse for the trees than compacted soil?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: Meyer lemon in pots question

Postby jaden62 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 am

I can remember hearing about an older lady with fruit trees in wine barrels who used a bulb planter (one of those cutter things with a handle, that will cut out & remove a smallish amount of soil each time) to refresh her soil every year.

She'd remove 4-5 plugs of soil at a time, & replace them with compost & fertiliser etc. Apparently this was enough to keep the plant healthy & to gradually replace soil in the pot.

I think she did it a couple of times a year, ensuring that she removed the soil in different areas each time.
jaden62
Groundsperson

Postby midgin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:56 am

What an excellent idea.... (Y)
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:34 pm

That's a great idea. I was able to get the fork into the soil so have partially aerated it, will try that when it's cooler to replace some soil with compost.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Fruit fly magnets. :evil:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Very rarely do we get fruit fly outbreaks, and they're usually confined to the inner suburbs of Adelaide. :)
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce