SE QLD Growing In Green House To Avoid Pests??

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

SE QLD Growing In Green House To Avoid Pests??

Postby kitacooch » Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi everyone, i am thinking about building a Greenhouse to grow my Vegies in as am an organic grower who is sick to death of feeding the local insects. The last lot of rain caused an insect plague that simply ate everything despite my late night efforts spending up to an hour with a torch squashing the pests.
I am not too sure what to use as the outer walls and roof?? I believe that polycarbonate will be too hot in summer so thinking shade mesh however the more light you go with the bigger the holes and not too sure which is best to go with that will allow good growth yet small enough to prevent most of the bugs getting in. Also weed control has been hard work, i spend so much time mulching it is ridiculous so hoping the green house will also prevent seeds from the paddocks blowing in??
Any assistance muchly appreciated.
kitacooch
Pruner

Re: SE QLD Growing In Green House To Avoid Pests??

Postby HortMaster » Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 pm

It's almost impossible to keep insects out all together. I like shade cloth personally as it's cheap and easy to install. Sticky traps work well in shade houses. the main thing is monitoring the pests so you're onto them before they're a problem.
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Fri May 03, 2013 12:28 am

You'd need to hand pollinate.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby kitacooch » Sun May 05, 2013 2:46 pm

bubba louie wrote:You'd need to hand pollinate.

Hmmm, didnt think about that, i've only ever hand pollinated pumpkins, zucchinis etc, (they all have male and female flowers) will everything require hand pollinating??? i have never noticed if all plants have male and female flowers??
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby bubba louie » Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm

kitacooch wrote:

Hmmm, didnt think about that, i've only ever hand pollinated pumpkins, zucchinis etc, (they all have male and female flowers) will everything require hand pollinating??? i have never noticed if all plants have male and female flowers??

Some things are wind pollinated, like tomatoes, so shaking the plant will be enough. Not all plants have male and female flowers, just one flower that has both male and female parts.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby kitacooch » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 pm

bubba louie wrote:
kitacooch wrote:

Some things are wind pollinated, like tomatoes, so shaking the plant will be enough. Not all plants have male and female flowers, just one flower that has both male and female parts.

Thanks bubba, maybe the petrol blower will be handy for this task.
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby bubba louie » Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

We 're not talking gale force. :wink:
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby MontoMum » Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm

When I worked at Sydney University, they had a glass house, which they would white wash during summer and clean it off in winter.

Might work with the polycarbonate.
MontoMum
Lawn trimmer

Postby kitacooch » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

So any suggestions on the most suitable grade of shade mesh one might use here on the Gold Coast ie what % light??
kitacooch
Pruner

Postby tam » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm

As vegies usually grow in full sun I would go the lowest % you can get as you only want it to keep bugs out.
The lowest I have found is 30% in black or green.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby kitacooch » Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Ok so i am now ready to purchase the shade cloth but having trouble with which grade to get. I have found some at a super special price (less than half normal price) but it is only in green or black. All grades are available but i am to choose between 30% or 50%. 30% would be best for light but the holes are twice the size of 50% and may let bugs in, especially fruit fly and small seed, where as the 50% would be small enough to keep just about everything out. I could go 50% but incorporate some some clear polly carb sheeting to let more light in??
Any advice out there peeps be much appreciated.
Cheers.
kitacooch
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce