Losing the Fruit Fly war

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Losing the Fruit Fly war

Postby AnthonyA » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I live in Sydney's south and losing the war against Fruit Fly on our nectarine tree.

I've tried the organic black paste, Eco Oil, Yates Fruit Fly, traps and even Rogor, and each year I throw out the whole crop!

I spray the tree religiously every 2 weeks during fruiting, and this year I even started just after blossom but to no avail.

Any suggestions or advice before I finally give up and let them win?

Thanks,
Anthony
AnthonyA
Apprentice

Re: Losing the Fruit Fly war

Postby bubba louie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:11 pm

I've stopped growing anything that FF like. Sorry to not be any help.

Total exclusion is all I can suggest but you'd have to time it till after pollination.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:28 am

with you bubba,

the war is lost, no effective control mechanisms that work on the female, males who do no damage easier to snare. husbandry will help remove off site any infected fruit, if it drops pick it up.

too many native bees around here so anything with yeast/urine attracts them also, so no trapping here. so far not many F/F's, just have to net if it gets bad. our biggest flying pest is king parrots.

seasons greetings

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby hoddo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:20 am

You could try the bags from Green Harvest. I use them on my tomatoes and they work.
hoddo
Curator

Postby greg.l » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm

In cool areas the fruit fly arrive around christmas. Last year I used the eco-naturalure spray and it seemed to keep the fruit fly under control. I start spraying now and every fortnight up till march, the spray is a lure with insecticide, when the fruit fly eat the protein lure they are killed. Unfortunately not much good for coastal areas where the fruit flies are around all year in bigger numbers.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Wizzy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:58 pm

I use Lybacid for fruit fly control which I find most effect, unfortunately it will be taken off the market soon. To combat the withdrawal of many insecticides I have started growing a lot of my fruit espalier, this year the apricots were great under a exclusion net which was easy to apply via the espalier. I purchased my first exclusion net from green harvest then did a little searching and found a supplier over here in the west that has them at 1/2 the price.
Cheers.
Be Happy.
Wizzy
Cultivator

Postby greg.l » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 am

I have had a good crop of fruit in my orchard this year, several tonnes of apples and plenty of stone fruit. I have been using the naturalure spray every week since christmas and it has been very successful. bought a big 4 litre bottle which is quite expensive but lasts for years and is well worth it. I have hardly seen any fruit fly in the fruit, just harvested a big bag of plums and they were fine. A nectarine tree up the other end of my property wasn't sprayed and was badly stung. In a suburban setting you could share the cost among neighbours and it would be more effective if used over a wider area than just a backyard.
You have to spray every week and after rain but not the whole tree, just a small area on the trunk or inner leaves (not on the fruit at all). Be sure to follow the directions carefully, it is mixed 1:6 with water. The spray works as a bait, it attracts the flies which eat the bait and die. It is pretty environmentally friendly because you won't kill beneficial bugs.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:09 am

There is a lure available now that traps males and females, but it's very pricey.
It's on the Green Harvest site.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Rainbow7 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:10 pm

I'm in WA - I had just a trap the year before last which didn't help much. This time I used bait as well - I think it's that Eco-naturalure brand - which I mixed then painted onto the leaves and trunk to avoid the fruit. That didn't seem to do much either. I think if we want to keep the trees we'll have to cover them with net next time - they're dwarf so at least they're not too big. It must be pretty fine net to keep the little flies out.
Rainbow7
Cultivator

Postby bubba louie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Depending what fruit you are growing you can bag just the fruit or fruit clusters.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby SlickMick » Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I have used mozzie net successfully on my stone fruit trees. I bag the mangoes and do noThing on my Myer lemon or Imperial mandarine, but would net them or bag them depending on the size of the crop. There are fruit fly nets available.

Mick
SlickMick
Gardener

Postby Rainbow7 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Update - I used mozzie net over our dwarf nectarine tree this summer and it seems to have helped, even though I thought I'd got it on too late and not secured it very well - it seems to take quite a large net to cover a 1.5 metre tree. The fruit hasn't all been in good condition by any means and some still got tiny black beetle-type things in them, but I haven't seen one wriggly white worm. :) We (mostly me) have managed to eat quite a few and I've just stewed the remaining ones, having stripped the tree of all that was left since I was sick of the saga of picking through fruit that had dropped and undoing the net trying to get good ones off the tree. Unfortunately it doesn't compare to buying large, perfect, tasty fruit at the supermarket - some of them turn out to be duds, though! Anyway, we might make a frame for all our dwarf fruit trees next summer to put net over and hopefully make it more accessible for us and less so for the bugs.
Rainbow7
Cultivator

Return to Fruit and Produce