figs dry and spltting before ripe

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

figs dry and spltting before ripe

Postby Garden-Guy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:41 pm

HI Guys

some of the figs if not most on my fig tree split open before being ripe or ready to eat....I don't water it very much
and it hasn't rained very much at all in this part of Sydney this summer so far I did some research online and found to much moisture can make figs split open
but I don't water it much

how can I stop my figs from splitting open ????

also one side of the dry figs are dry and other side they are split open why ?

how often should a fig tree watered ?
Garden-Guy
Lawn trimmer

Re: figs dry and spltting before ripe

Postby greg.l » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:11 am

Figs can develop extensive root systems. The roots of yours may have found their way into a drain or other water source. Figs aren't easy, birds and bats love to eat the fruit. I count every ripe fig I get as a blessing.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Re: figs dry and spltting before ripe

Postby Garden-Guy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi Greg

yes I think you maybe right about the roots of my tree finding another water source as I have a decent size fig tree that I hardly water but I do water the parsley every day or 2 and that is near but a fair distance away from my fig tree where the roots must be getting moisture from...

to try and fix the splitting issue I am going to consider cutting the whole fig tree down planting a new one in a pot but potted figs don't grow as good less fruit but maybe easyer to maintain and move and protect from bats ect

this tree has given me a lot of fruit this season but most are split

and if not split one side of the fig when picked is dry and other side is moist do you know why this could be and how it can be fixed ????

yes I know about the bats and birds and even rats love figs to

I protect my tree I have got 6 long steel bars around the whole tree from the outside also put a few across the top of the tree and connected them from the top to the outside bars with strong wire then got a few huge bird nets from bunnings warehouse and put the net all the way round from top to bottom tie all to the bottom of the tree then anytime you want to pick the figs off your tree un tie it enter close pick your figs exit then tie up again till next time

this keeps the bats and birds off

another tip make sure to gett longer bars then your tree and extra 1 metre side to side because that way if birds and bats try and get to your tree as they will they wont be abe to reach it all
Garden-Guy
Lawn trimmer

Return to Fruit and Produce