Citrus tree having problem

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Citrus tree having problem

Postby Vik » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi,

We just moved to a house and the first experience with garden started.

There is a Citrus tree 8-10 years old. After few days, found lots of white insect and started treating plant with white oil. In last 3 months have treated the plant 4 times and cannot see the flies any more but the sliver trait on the leaves still exists. Secondly the new growth is light green in color and or thick curly leaves. Also the branch shows lots of white tiny spots. There are no lumps so I don't think it would to be Gall wasp. But not sure what it could be.

About 4-5 months ago we got a gardener to top up soil across the garden. At that time an Orange shrub, bought from the nursery was planted. The shrub has started growing new leaves but they too are light green in color, curving and decaying. I thought about not enough nutrition in the soil and called Gardner for some suggestion. He said the soil is rich in minerals and that should not be an issue. Except white oil he doesn't have any more suggestion for us.

I am having trouble to upload the files but happy to share by any other means.

We are bit hesitant to add extra minerals to the soil as read on online forum that excessive minerals can damage the plant. Not sure what is the issue but any help will really be appreciated.

Regards,
Vik
Vik
Cultivator

Re: Citrus tree having problem

Postby goldbullion » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Your tree is under stress. That's when the pests move in. You have at least two different pests: 1) scale: sounds like citrus snow scale which will require repeat applications of oil sprays to eliminate. It will cause bark splitting if not treated.
2) citrus leaf miner attacks new flush. On a mature tree, not a huge issue. However in my experience they also tend to cause more damage on stressed trees. Spray the new flush regularly, but be careful using oil sprays in hot weather or applying too many applications.
No point bringing in soil repeatedly. Improve what you have with organics, composts, animal manure, etc,
Regular feed the tree with a citrus fertiliser and most importantly regular watering especially as this has been the driest Dec/Jan in over 70 years.
And mulch mulch mulch past the drip line.

PS: new citrus flush is a light green until the leaves mature and harden off. If the whole tree has pale green leaves then your tree is Nitrogen deficient and is hungry for a feed.

Hope this helps, but submitting a picture if you can would be helpful.
goldbullion
Head Gardener

Postby Vik » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Appreciate your response mate.

The photo be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/116806244@N04/

Improving with organics and manure means adding following fertilisers or something else.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/produ ... fertiliser

If one of those fertiliser, which one you recon.

Thanks,
Vik
Vik
Cultivator

Postby bubba louie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Have you done a ph test on the soil?
I've yet to find a bought soil that's really any good. No matter what the seller says.

I just looked at your photos.
The one that has the worst curl needs a bigger bed. Citrus hate competition and will be much happier if you mulch to the drip line.

Have a read here.

http://greenharvest.com.au/GreenGardenN ... sCare.html
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Vik » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Bubba,

I haven't checked the pH yet, while for the bigger bed... I would say the existing one is similar of being planted in a pot. Let me clean the bordering grass and treat with fertilisers.

Also thanks for the link.

Thanks.
Vik
Cultivator

Return to Fruit and Produce