New Meyer lemon tree - help/tips

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

New Meyer lemon tree - help/tips

Postby Demon85 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi

New to gardening and the forum.

Just bought a meyer lemon tree and wanted some advice to give it the best start.

The tree basically goes straight up in the air and is quite tall there are three branches, one being the one going straight up in the air which look like they will develop into strong branches.

The advice i am looking for is mainly around should i cut the branch back to take some height off the plant and is now a good time of year to be doing it? Or should i just leave the tree to do its thing? Its very skinny but i feel its probably a bit tall - stands around a metre

I am growing it in a pot and will move it to a larger pot when required. It has enough room to grow in the pot i transferred it to.

Also, any other tips would be appreciated as i have a lot to learn.

Thanks
Demon85
Apprentice

Re: New Meyer lemon tree - help/tips

Postby HortMaster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Hello,

I would recommend putting it in the ground personally if possible. Definitely leave it if it's only a metre tall. The basic rule with citrus is.... vertical growth=leafs and horizontal growth=fruit. The time of year isn't super important with pruning . You can train vertical growth down using rope. It's pretty hard to go wrong with a lemon tree though really..
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce