mad hatter gardener maybe?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

mad hatter gardener maybe?

Postby gardenlen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 am

ok,

planted: zucchini; cabbage(drum head type); large caullie and black russian tom's.

we gotta try hey? it may yet deliver some rain or w just work hard getting water to them

reckon the bugs who like brassicas may be in short supply, had some bok choy pop up volunteers early on we got some good pick but mostly it attracted the bugs and they then plants and all got fed to the chooks, plus the chooks have been scratching around and chasing down grasshoppers etc.,

we have mossy net, this time i planted them in a group, so bugs had nothing to eat for a couple months now, so like no fruit fly due to no rain, maybe less bugs due to no food or rain.

first time since gardening we have bumper capsicum crops all 4 plants still going strong. and first time ever tom's failed

anyhow good for morale to garden in teh face of diversity

take care

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Re: mad hatter gardener maybe?

Postby karyn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Don't feel alone, I'm always crap at tomato growing!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby tam » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Karen the tomatoes that come up by themselves around the yard do much better than the ones I plant in the vegie patch. The ones in the yard rely on rain.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby gardenlen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:48 am

yes tam,

any volunteers are generally stronger and more adaptable to your environment.

about 10 years ago when we lived in rural, i was chatting with lady gardener, who has same belief, that the volunteers where the strongest in that case drought hardy, especially with jap pumpkins.

but ehre we started real early end of winter with volunteer tom's all over the place even some in pots from a friend, looked like another bumper season like the previous season where a lady down the road gave us all these tom' seeds of european varieties, we ate and gave away oodles. now this season almost no fruit and all volunteers dead. all our pumpkin vines are volunteers sprung up in the raised beds i did transplant some but they died along with seedling i grew. yes volunteers are the best for your garden, at last property we bought oodles of bush tree's in tubes, 90% failed even with regular water, so our next season was a good wet one and lots of euc' type seedling appeared (the strongest i reckon they may have been dormant for some time) so i transplanted many where we wanted them 90% survived dug them while the ground was soft. this time we have probably lost about 20% of our tube stack and they have been in the ground for at least 6 months when the dry hit, we have some kurajong and soap tree seedling growing as volunteers they need no water.

took our drought hardy pumpkin seeds back to the 'burbs yup it was too wet for them.

anyhow hope we get rain soon

len
Attachments
IMG pams seeds_0003 reduced.jpg
IMG pams seeds_0002 reduced.jpg
IMG pams seeds_0001 reduced.jpg
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."