Cockatoos eating citrus trees

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Cockatoos eating citrus trees

Postby kemccarthy » Wed May 21, 2014 8:55 am

Hi everyone. i don't know if there is a solution to this, but it's worth a shot.

Last year i got a Meyer lemon tree and a Tahitian lime tree. Both were put in large pots on my north facing balcony in Sydney, and were doing really well. Heaps of flowers and then lots of fruits had developed. I was eagerly watching the fruits and was so excited when they got to full size. However, before they had ripened, the local cockatoos came along and took all the fruit while i was out. They took the lemons first and then a month or so later came back for the limes. I know this, because I came home just as the bird was taking the last lime from the tree.

I was so annoyed, but there was nothing i could do except to wait for the next crop of fruit.

Anyway, i think i got the trees at the end of winter, so in a few months i guess they'll start to flower again? They get a lot of sun on the balcony and since they lost their fruit they've grown a lot of leaves and look a lot bigger and stronger now.

I have a fake owl that they are clearly not afraid of, and there is silver reflective bird deterrent tape in the trees, but that relies on the sun and i don't even know if that works.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to deter the cockatoos? They aren't afraid of anything, unfortunately, and have come onto the balcony before and ripped up a few plants here and there. Nothing too major, but still a nuisance.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd like to get to keep some lemons and limes this year if possible!

PS. I know i can get a net for the trees, and i may end up doing this, but i like LOOKING at the trees and watching the progress of the fruit, so it would be a bit disappointing if i had to cover them up :(
kemccarthy
Apprentice

Re: Cockatoos eating citrus trees

Postby HortMaster » Wed May 28, 2014 2:32 pm

It's either a net or a shotgun unfortunately
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Thu May 29, 2014 5:44 am

I know i can get a net for the trees, and i may end up doing this, but i like LOOKING at the trees and watching the progress of the fruit, so it would be a bit disappointing if i had to cover them up

If you're able to get a black net (does such a thing even exist??) you wouldn't be able to see it. We use black mosquito netting on our vegies for just that reason.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kemccarthy » Thu May 29, 2014 9:09 am

Thank you. I've bought some black netting online, couldn't find any at bunnings. Hopefully my trees flower again at some stage...i'm not sure if I need to wait until spring or if they might flower earlier, I'll see what happens. Once the flowering is done and the fruit starts growing i'll add the nets. Let's hope i get some lemons and limes this season!! :P
kemccarthy
Apprentice

Return to Fruit and Produce