water well for fruit trees

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

water well for fruit trees

Postby zaza » Fri May 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Hello - am interested in what technique others use in making water wells for their trees. Most of mine get recycled water sprinkled out, but a couple need the hose 1/2 times each week. When the trees were planted 10mths ago the soil dug out was used to make the well (ie the wall part), and I have added to this when recently clearing weeds with the maddock. But am wondering what to do next. Pea straw, lucerne, etc appears would blow away and is expensive by the bag. The staff at the hardware store i spoke to today didn't seem to understand what I was doing. Maybe nobody does this anymore? Anyway, I did get a suggestion of using plastic strips that are used to edge garden beds. But for a dozen fruit trees, this will be expensive. Am also thinking maybe i should lay a bit of pea straw around the base of the tree as is just dirt now and perhaps the roots will get cold (I am at 750m altitude) and it is freezing cold over winter. Any thoughts, comments would be welcomed. thanks.
zaza
Cultivator

Re: water well for fruit trees

Postby gardenlen » Sat May 24, 2014 3:08 am

sounds same as what we do basically, we dig a hole, and create a berm on flat ground evenly around the tree out at the drip line, imaginary when tree is couple of years old, on slope we put the berm on the down side much like a dam, so it collects some of the water that may run past. then we heavily mulch again out to that imaginary drip line.

we mainly use sugar cane mulch it is more affordable, but yes a good mulch layer will do both keep roots warm(winter0 and cool(summer)

use lots of gypsum for fruit trees if you think might be a bit acid, throw some dolomite in not much.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby zaza » Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm

thanks Len. do you mulch up to the trunk of the tree? I have started to do this in the general garden and now thinking about these fruit trees too. But I still need to have some kind of berm to help keep water in. Or maybe this is not as important as keeping the roots warm/cool? someone once said to me "roots will always find water". It takes a while for me to change what I have been doing for many years but the effect on the general garden of mulching up to the plant is better for lots of reasons. so maybe it is a question of balance when mulching the fruit trees. thanks again.
zaza
Cultivator

Postby Pam » Wed May 28, 2014 5:44 am

zaza, don't put mulch right up to the stem on your trees, as it will encourage collar rot.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby gardenlen » Thu May 29, 2014 4:24 am

also as pam says don't mulch right up to trunks, leave around 6" clear, in general garden you can mulch to plants stems, with no worries.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce