passionfruit not ripening

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

passionfruit not ripening

Postby CeeBee500 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Earlier this year, we had a small crop of passionfruit, which ripened okay. Now we have another bumper crop but they have been green for weeks. Is it because it is winter? I live in Brisbane.
CeeBee500
Apprentice

Re: passionfruit not ripening

Postby tam » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:06 pm

I know mine are taking longer but there are not many left.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby gardenlen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 am

yes a winter issue, mine very slow
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Geoff Clifton » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

We found our passionfruit flowered and fruited well in Nowra but took ages to ripen and many simply did not.

There were two main problems. Variety first and foremost. The rabbit shop could not care less, or just don't know, what is good for where you live, the region around the store, and flog off loads of tropical types which do not ripen well in Sydney and south. Second was grafted plants. The root stock stumps grew to more than 100mm (4") diameter and suckered like crazy way out from the plant. We had loads of foliage and a few dozen fruit but they were grown as a screen so fruit was a bonus.

We were given some small black purple fruit from a Melbourne garden. Just like the ones we got forever ago, small, thin skinned and full of sweet pulp. The vine they came from was known to be over sixteen years old with a trunk like a man's arm. I have called it 'Melbourne Heritage' until someone can identify it.

Anyway I kept seed from one and struck a dozen plants the first year. The best pair stayed with the house which we recently sold. My son and I both have two firing up and flowering right now.

I think we have cracked it and got back to the fruit type we grew 25+ years ago. A proven southern climate variety seedling grown. They will ripen and not throw suckers.

I have about 20 seedlings in pots which I'd be happy to swap for miniature carpet rose cuttings or showy lavenders which Margaret would like for our balcony pots. We are in La Perouse, Sydney.

Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce