forgot the pears.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

forgot the pears.

Postby dalelesley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:40 pm

sorry forgot to add the pears
Attachments
100_2677.JPG
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Re: forgot the pears.

Postby midgin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Yummo.... said with green eyes. I love, love blue cheese and pear.....drool....
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:05 pm

They freeze well if you peel and slice the firm ripe fruit. Place in lidded containers and cover with sugar syrup before covering and freezing. This works well with most fruit.
We use small containers so the contents are used immediately after defrosting as the fruit may brown if kept too long.
We do not cook the fruit so it has a better flavour. ( Cooking first would probably eliminate the browning problem - especially if lemon juice is added to the sugar syrup. Cooked ones could be kept in the frig. without freezing for quite a while.)

I'm with Midgin. They look so great.

( You are now an experienced genius at posting photos. :D )
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for that information I might just try doing that with some of next years crop I assume the sugar syrup would be sugar dissolved in warm water is this correct and could I be a further pain and ask what volume of sugar to water would you advise? and should I allow the syrup to cool first I would think I would. I think I would need to cook the sugar water down to a syrup is this so? :?
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:18 pm

We use equal parts sugar and water by volume, e.g. 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of hot water. Bring to the boil. This makes a thin syrup. For a heavier syrup, increase the ratio of sugar or just boil the thin syrup for 5 min. or longer. Pack the fruit in plastic containers (Chinese food containers are good) and pour in the COLD syrup to completely cover the fruit. Freeze until needed.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce