watermelon - blackmountain/blackriver?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

watermelon - blackmountain/blackriver?

Postby gardenlen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 am

g'day fellow gardeners.

ok last year i saw a watermelon called blackmountain/river whatever, looked like good fruit

need help buying seeds please

ta
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Re: watermelon - blackmountain/blackriver?

Postby dalelesley » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Sure your not thinking of BLACKTAIL MOUNTAIN WATERMELON. If you are then you can get the seeds from Diggers. Email addy is diggers.com.au they have a very big selection of seeds of all kinds.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 am

thanks dalelesley,

that's the one

ta

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby gardenlen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:58 am

diggers say "it's in the mail" grin, 6+ bucks postage for a pack of seeds that cost $4 is getting steep hey

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:53 pm

If you become a member you will pay a good bit less for your seeds plus you get four Diggers seed annuals which has a very large collections of seeds that you can't buy in nurseries or Bunnings. I pay around $2.95 for seeds from them where at other places I would pay around the 4-5$ mark. Doesn't sound much I know but after a time it does add up. Of course you need to be selective as to which seeds you buy from them. I only buy seeds that I'm unable to get any where else.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:51 am

thanks dalelesley,

yes i ca see what you say, this is the first seeds i have bought from diggers, i mostly source seeds from eden seeds as they have displays in our produce agency, if these seeds fruit well then it will be worth it, as from there on in i will have my own seeds, i am finding of later years local seeds are not producing how i feel they should all below standard especially in the brassicas and tomato fields, had a very poor tom' season last season or 2 (usually we abound in fruit), was given some seeds another gardener sourced from europe they did well before then just my gardening and husbandry does not encourage volunteers (fruit fly), and with tom's i am not much good at seed saving, this year is looking heaps better, i find the european types grow into winter and fruit where our varieties don't, with this water melon it is purported to be more cold hardy so maybe able to plant early at one end of the season and grow later at the other end.

brassica season coming to an end and again not real flash but good anyway, caullies and cabbages (the asian types ok) my main issue been years since i grew a good head of either, so need better variety of seed, bought a russian cab' seeds from online but they all failed to germinate, need a good sized firm cabbage, now that it appears that drumhead is no longer available, something to do with patent i think, so any suggestions there will be appreciated (not a sugar loaf or savouy fan at all), kale failed miserably here, so not going there same with artichokes, looked fantastic then they give up the ghost

anyhow will be looking to buy brassicas by february

thanks for your help, if you hear of something let me know please

take care

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi gardenlen, I currently have cabbage 2 types, turnip, parsnip, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and broad beans all from seed. I planted them yonks ago in jiffy pots then planted the whole thing into the beds. Didn't think any of it would take off as we get wicked frost here but all have survived and growing well. They did seem to go into limbo for awhile as we got down to -4 a few times and frost on the ground till 1-2pm daily. I also have cos lettuce and iceberg lettuce which I am picking now. Not massive great heads but very firm. The garlic is going ahead in leaps and bounds so are the red onions and silver beet again the silver beet is not tall but it has good leaves on it. Broad beans are getting knocked about a tad with the wind but they are in behind a closed picket fence so they are going ok. My caulies last summer were all good the last one weighing in at 5.4klgs. I will however refrain from planting up in the winter as it's all to hard. I used to have some fantastic tomato seeds my dad had given to him years ago they were called Bullock heart tomatoes, best tasting tomatoes ever sadly lost my seeds when we moved here have no idea where they disappeared to I'm hoping they will turn up one day when I'm going through boxes yet to be opened. So by now you will have your Watermelon seeds. Sounds like the kind I should grow here as well. As you say you only need to buy the first lot then you have your own from then on. What is the flavour like with the watermelons? It's great to be able to exchange ideas and types of veg to grow in ones garden. Anyway happy gardening.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:23 am

g'day again,

the brassicas should handle the frost no worries as with the lettuce, we grow all those in the winter, i mainly volunteer red cos, pick them as and when or they go to seed and grow next season caullies are doing ok this season, broccoli not so good got these huge plants with small heads, usually broccoli do well for me but this time so more searching for next season trie 2 other sort supposed to be similar to broccolini but mostly got tall bushy things with lots of laterals and tiny heads.'

changing my tomato growing from seeds (too variable) the cuttings using the laterals so far working great figure i can take cutting through the season keep new plants coming and then have potted stock to carry through winter and on and on, no luck with garlic here, got bunching onions and red shallots as well as perpetual/perennial leeks

the blacktails seeds are in, water melon sweet watery flesh 90% water good for flushing urinary tract, 6+ bucks postage in standard envelope a bit steep real post cost app' 70c

yeh chat anytime

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:17 pm

100_2679.JPG
Not sure if this will help but I did my Broccoli, Caulies and cabbage with seasol about every two to three weeks in their early growing stage I also put a heap of sheep poo, mushroom compost and a bit of blood and bone along with some pot ash from the fire place dug it all in with these results.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby dalelesley » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:19 pm

100_2700.JPG
and this was my 5.4Klg caulie.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:08 am

good looking crops dalesley

our caullies did well this year, broccoli was good we grew and asian one that doesn't get large heads but always a daily pick cabbages ok gotta find a better cabbage one like drumhead

but planting for new season now melon seedling ready for when frost danger gone

for all happy gardening for the new season

take care

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:42 pm

I've just planted some sugarloaf cabbage for a change, already have the mini cabbage and mini caulie s in which are just starting to take off. I haven't tried the rainbow silver beet before so bought some of those as well as some Kale planted radish a couple of weeks ago they are just breaking ground and at long last been able to get some Brussels sprouts to grow the snails & slugs had a field day with them till I bought some slug & snail traps which I might add work really well. Beer got to expensive so I got yeast in them now which does the same job at half the cost. How are your water melons doing?
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:30 am

my summer seedlings are now at plant out stage so that is my regime try coffee for the slugs. we buy cheap as instant mix it at road tar strength and spray around the bottom plants and the ground, do every night if you have to works best on new born's but will get them all. also with slugs paint some poly pipe black inside and hide it under the mulch a bit they will hide in there for the day or lay sheets of news paper or cardboard down with a brick on top we also do morning safaris and pick them off

got 2 of the melon seedlings in so far the others just getting full second set of leaves

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:40 pm

thank gardenlen for that tip. The coffee sound the go so I'll go to Shiploads and buy some cheap stuff and give a try. I was worried about my Peony's which are just starting to show their heads and I could see the slug trail on the pavers so in desperate means I put crushed egg shell and Lucerne around them but now you have told me about the coffee I'll add that to the mix as well. My new Giant Delphiniums arrived and they are very small right now so I have planted them and covered them with some plastic propagating domes I found at shiploads. They are doing ok now and the warmth is giving them the help they need to keep the frost at bay which we are still getting went down to 0 last night. Keep us in the loop re your Watermelons might buy some myself and give them a go seeing how the weather here in Tassie can't make up it's mind. Warm sunny one day and flipping freezing the next. Still have snow on our mountain behind our house but it's looking a tad thin on it now. Looking forward to planting up some summer stuff I haven't put any tomatoes in as I said we are still getting frost on a regular basis. Sweet corn I have seeds for bought some white corn this year thought I'd give that a try as well as some dwarf corn which I can plant in the same bed as the white corn. Getting the arch ready now to plant my beans, peas etc I pinched the idea from better homes and gardens so now I'll be able to walk under the peas and beans and pick them from all sides.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:02 am

will keep you up dated hoping frosts are gone now always a rsik until mid september, rain coming now which is good

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Can you send some rain our way please? We are over 100mls below average for the year where we are. Down south has had a good drink but us up here in the north have had diddly sqat really, most of what we have had is that silly fine misty drizzle that does little for the garden. I think the farmers around us will be putting their big sprinklers on early this year. Planted some Dutch Cream spud yesterday with plenty of peas straw mulch to ward off any frost. Also put in some more Red Onions. We are getting lovely spring days but as I said no rain. My spring bulbs are all coming into flower, I have a few here I do not know what they are as yet as they were here when we bought the house. Some I will have to move as she has them in to much shade any way happy gardening.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:03 am

we aren't getting that much rain where we are gympie has only had .6 to this hour, be careful of averaging it gets used to make things sound worse, they'll average over what ever period of months/years gives them the figure they want, the more forest that is removed the less rain simple.

just planting out what i have that is due, not sure how much rain maybe around 10mm but any rain is good rain, saves watering

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby tam » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:28 pm

We can only hope they wake up one day, that one of the major reasons for climate change is forests being logged.
We haven't had any decent rain since April.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby dalelesley » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:04 pm

The silly government here has just rekindled Forestry Tasmania. It has been a dead horse for years and us tax payers have had to prop it up until the last government disbanded it sadly for all now the loggers are having a field day clear felling everything in sight. Makes my heart bleed to see such beautiful forest being desecrated the way it is. To protest over it now incurs a criminal record I guess it's one way for them to keep it quiet to the rest of the world.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby gardenlen » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:22 am

yes they should get their heads out of the clouds, well what clouds there is, forget heir based on theory and hype myth, and look at the cold hard facts in the light of day. stop putting the blame on the common man who has no control in the matter.

leave the habitat alone i'm no tree hugger, but stop clear felling, especially for agriculture, there is enough land clear to grow food for australians, and needy nations, no food for greed

len

--

gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce