Best way(s) to grow strawberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Best way(s) to grow strawberries

Postby janeh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 am

Hi all,

I really want to get some strawberries growing, but I'm a bit stuck on which way is best and doesn't involve replacing the plants yearly.

I was contemplating the PVC tower idea but if that is an option, is vertical or a horizontal ladder better? I also read that the strawberries grown in this method will need to be replaced after a year. This isn't ideal, I don't really want to have to keep buying strawberry runners, that kind of defeats the purpose of growing them.

Otherwise I've seen stacking pots http://www.stackapots.com.au/shop/maxi-planter/ but again, will the plants just die after a year because they're so confined?

I'm well prepared to irrigate but short on garden bed space, unless I build a raised garden bed and put it on the driveway...
janeh
Apprentice

Re: Best way(s) to grow strawberries

Postby dalelesley » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:21 pm

Try hanging baskets I have mine in them and they are doing well. It's also a good way to keep the slugs snails etc from munching on them. They will produce runners so you can propergate them as well. You can hang them as high or low as you want. I use rather big baskets that way I can put two plants in the one pot.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby karyn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 am

If anyone has done the PVC tower thing, was it in full sun or part shade?
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby gottagro » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:52 pm

People have been using a planter pot instead of stackers, where there are holes all around a single pot. This might assist. They look like this...

I've found generally they do needs some work to get the best out of them, like replanting the runners, fertilisers and water.
Attachments
Pots.jpg
Pots.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
gottagro
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce