A new taste sensation.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

A new taste sensation.

Postby bubba louie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:28 pm

The local native plant nursery, our neighbours, had a bush food tasting just recently with some local producers, and I have found a new, to me, taste sensation.

Glacéd Lilli pilly.

They used the small leaf lilli Pilly, Syzygium luehmannii. The clove like flavour came through but the hit of sugar made all the difference. I didn't get a recipe but I expect it would be the same as any glacéd fruit.

I'm going to have a go at making some when I get the chance. The producers also make Rainforest Liqueurs, so we had a sampling of those as well.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: A new taste sensation.

Postby Pam » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:33 am

Sounds like it would have been an interesting event. Do they do it yearly or was it just a one off?

The glacéd Lilli pilly sounds interesting.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:20 am

Pam wrote:Sounds like it would have been an interesting event. Do they do it yearly or was it just a one off?

The glacéd Lilli pilly sounds interesting.

They've opened a retail outlet in town and this was the grand opening, but they are hoping to make the bush food tasting a regular event. I'm not sure if the couple who made the glacé will be there as regulars though.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby shadoh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:22 am

I love the sound of that. I have lilly pilly growing all along of the fenceline and was wondering what to do with the fruit. *hunts down recipe*
shadoh
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 pm

shadoh wrote:I love the sound of that. I have lilly pilly growing all along of the fenceline and was wondering what to do with the fruit. *hunts down recipe*

I asked them for it.

Rainforest Liqueurs.
Add equal amounts of sugar and fruit to a stainless saucepan, the next day warm up the fruit to 60 C to melt the sugar, take off of the heat. The day after add 10% more sugar and warm up to 65 C and take off of the heat. Do this 4 more times. On the 7th day warm the syrup up and strain the fruit out. The fruit can now be lightly dried and the left over syrup used for cooking cake oor as a cordial.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce