My Nectarine tree has mould..I think.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

My Nectarine tree has mould..I think.

Postby dalelesley » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Last year I had trouble with curly leaf on my Nectarine so I drove a couple of copper nails into the trunk which my dad used to do many years ago. Overcome the curly leaf ok but now as my fruit is ripening I am finding it going mouldy (or a fungus) is spoiling the fruit. Far to early to pick and not all the fruit is effected can some one perhaps tell me what the problem could be? We have had recently heavy rain 147mls in 2 days but prior to that no rain for over two months and then only very little. Could it be to much rain all of a sudden?
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Re: My Nectarine tree has mould..I think.

Postby abwal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Try spraying with a safe fungicide. That much rain would certainly encourage fungal growth if there are spores present.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks abwel will look for a environmental friendly solution at the nursery. By the way have you ever used or heard of the copper nails before?
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Yes I have heard of the copper nail treatment - supposed to make pawpaws produce better fruit. They are also promoted as a way of killing trees. Obviously, they can not both be correct. Personally, I would not rely on them for either. I have seen pieces of copper driven into gum with no noticeable result. Copper solutions will kill roots and were once used to do so in drainage pipes - though the dead roots often still caused a blockage.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Oh dear hope I haven't done the wrong thing. I guess I will find out in due course. So disappointed with my vegie patch and fruit trees this year. I fully understand though the crazy weather has played a big part in not so good of vegie or fruit. I have lost heaps of apples, Plums, Pears and Apricots this year and I can only put it down to the hot dry weather we are having. Vegie patch has little in it right now no point as saving water has priority right now. We do have a bore but with such long dry spell not sure how the water table is going so being careful with what we do have. Washing machine water is doing it's bit though lawns still look green thanks to washing water. I am told I should prune my cherry tree in Feb/March would you say this is correct. I had no cherries off it all this summer but that was I think because I pruned it at the wrong time (winter).
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:05 pm

I really do no think the copper nail would be a problem.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce