Recycling Veggie garden beds

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Recycling Veggie garden beds

Postby debbiec » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi all, last August, for the first time i tried my hand at growing veggies. I used the raised garden bed method, and had soil delivered which i placed on top of an area that i had turned over and then dug it all in. Everything worked wonderfully and i managed to grow a great assortment of veggies with very little effort. :D In the last few weeks though my garden has been neglected and is now home to a large amount of weeds :oops: My question is i am now wanting to look at planting more seeds, so can i use a commercial weed killer on my beds or will this effect anything that i want to plant in the garden beds? Would i be better turning the beds over and pulling all the unwanted growth out by hand? I am assuming that it would be beneficial to add some fertiliser to the soil as well before planting any new veggies. Is there a certain time that you have to wait after doing this? Any answers and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
debbiec
Pruner

Postby Cornonthecob » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:26 pm

G'day Debbie, I'm sure you'll get lots of different ideas from people, here a few things to think about:

If you can enclose your vege beds...look at using chooks to clear, and fertilize, it for you.

You could try using cardboard, or even newspaper, to cover the area....this should kill everything underneath. Then cut small holes through and plant your veges.

You could try pulling all weeds out, turning the soil over....but there's no way you'll get all weed seeds, and turning the soil will only annoy the worms!

One thing to bear in mind...keep your vege beds full of growing things at all times..this way weeds can't get a head start. Also...at the end of your growing season, plant a green mature (Green Harvest has a good range)...this again will stop weeds from taking hold and will also supply nutrients back into the soil for the following seasons growing.

Mike
:)
Cornonthecob
Weeder

Postby Luzy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:36 pm

I love the chook idea, Mike, and would also love to have chooks! One day...

Personally, I avoid the weed killers (especially in vegie areas) as I don't know what's in them and what might and might not stay in the soil. I'd be pulling the weeds out by hand and then composting them - and cursing the little weeds that come up from the dropped seed, though if it's only been a few weeks your weeds might not have seeded yet.

Added fertilisers would depend on what you're wanting to grow next. Now sounds like a great time to build up the general health of your soil by adding organic material - did you have access to heaps of horse manure, Debbie? Vegies love manures and they're great for the soil. (And they love green manures that have been dug in, too.)

Next season, a thick layer of mulch (like lucerne or pea straw) around your vegies will help to keep the weeds down and again add good organic stuff to the soil.

Must admit, it sounds like you've already got a pretty good soil, after such a successful season! (Y) What vegies are you planning? :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:22 am

Morning all,

I would use a fork when digging the garden as a shovel will harm or kill
the worms in your garden.
Use plenty of fertaliser in the garden but, dont plant anything for at least
a couple of weeks as the fertaler may burn or kill your plants.
Use plenty of compost if you have it the more the merier the worms love
the stuff.

Regards,
Paul. 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:59 am

Morning debbiec,

If you find that you cant get enough vege and fruit scraps do what I do.
When I have a need to go shopping at the supermarket or the fruit and vege shop I ask them what do they do with the old scraps if they throw them out ask them if you can take it.
I do this on a regular basis and you will find that it saves time with the
shop owners as well.
You can never have enough compost for the gardens

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby debbiec » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the great answers, i think if i put them all into practice i should have a great veggie season again. :D This time i am going to use manure as you have suggested Luzy, as i have plenty of it with four horses wandering around, and believe it or not have never used their little presents on the garden. At one stage i did collect a rubbish bin full and added lots of water to the bin and left it for weeks in an attempt to get a nice rich liquid fetriliser, but unfortunately the wind blew it over one day and that was the end of it. :cry: Is that a good idea for a fertiliser, watering it down and then tipping it on the garden? Also thanks Paul for the using the fork instead of the shovel idea, i didnt think of that, it is a good point though. I really need to learn more about composting and the benefits of worms and other little natural goodies for the garden. This forum has been a wealth of information for me so far, so thanks everyone. (Y)
debbiec
Pruner

Postby Luzy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Good on you, Debbie! I bet your vegie garden thrives!

I'm not real sure about the liquid manure but would probably dilute it from the bin and see how it goes, just in case it's a bit strong. There are probably recipes for water/manure quantities somewhere... :roll:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Debbie,
your horse manure will be great for the garden ...liquid manure is fine ...you just dilute it to the colour of tea before watering the vegies.
Mulching heavily and planting lots more than you need will ensure no room for weeds ..(you can give away the extra , preserve it or feed it to the chooks or horses.)...it will return to you as manure anyway ...thats organic gardening at its best. Giving back to the soil what you take out .....it takes very little time before results astound!

Try to avoid poisons as some may stay in the soil and harm both the worms and the vegies too.

mulch mulch mulch , manure and liquid manure and you have the bestest garden ever.
Happy gardening.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby milt » Tue May 23, 2006 7:59 pm

When my summer crop has gone to the gods :( , i rip out all plants and weeds and dig and turn the soil and add about a bag of manure per sq metre or so and then dig that in again for a healthy winter crop. come late spring i repeat the process but add a little more manure to the mix. Doesn't smell the best for the first few months :shock: but geez the veggies love it.

My answer to weeds is weeding whilst the suckers are small before they seed :D , every time I'd have a look at how my garden is progressing I'd spend a few minutes pulling out the small weeds. I'm not sure that worms suffer too much or die whe they are cut in half??? :?

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Wed May 24, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi Milt,

I'm with you on the 'weed every visit' thing, trouble is the weeds are usually too quick for me.

And how is your winter patch coming along? 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby milt » Mon May 29, 2006 10:52 pm

My winter patch is coming along nicelly, just some snow peas, wild rocket, carrots and garlic. When the new house is built a much larger garden bed will come with it and a larger selection of veggies. I'm so looking forward to it :D :D :D

Milt,
milt
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce