Pecan in Canberra - Any success stories?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Pecan in Canberra - Any success stories?

Postby Pheadrus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:09 pm

I have planted a Pecan in Canberra about 5 years ago. It should suit the climate in theory in terms of chill hours and hot summer. Not sure about the clay soil though. The tree is doing well, but no sign of flower / fruit yet.
Yes, I know it may take 7 year or so as a general rule for fruit, but I'm getting impatient for any signs.

Does anyone grow /seen / has experience with pecans in this climate that can shed more light on fertilisation, soil treatment or any other advice?
Pheadrus
Apprentice

Re: Pecan in Canberra - Any success stories?

Postby dalelesley » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm

If they are like hazel nuts then you may need another one to cross pollinate with. I have a hazel nut which would not produce nuts until last year. I bought an advanced tree and planted it next to the older one and I got some nuts last summer and should get more this year both trees right now are loaded with flowers. May not be the same for Pecan but worth asking your nut nursery the question.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce