Citrus rust mite?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Citrus rust mite?

Postby Drewberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:08 pm

An orange tree that we planted just a couple of months ago is not looking too well. Almost from day one it has had inward curling leaves. I presume this is due to under watering. More concerning though is that recently it has started to develop brown patches on some leaves. It appears to be spreading. The prime suspect is citrus rust mite, but I've been unable to find any images of citrus rust mite affected foliage that resembles ours.

The other suspect was over-fertilization, but I believe if that were the case then the leaves would turn brown/black from the tips. Ours definitely aren't starting at the tips.

Any thoughts?
20160829_130919_resized.jpg
Drewberg
Lawn trimmer

Re: Citrus rust mite?

Postby tam » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 pm

Sorry I have no idea what it could be. What fertiliser did you use?
tam
Gardening Sage

Re: Citrus rust mite?

Postby tam » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:28 am

This is an answer off another gardening forum.

Looks like cold damage and Winter Yellows, could also be root bound. I would carefully tip it out of pot, and check the roots to see if any are twisted up or circling pot. I can't see overall size of pot or tree, might need a larger pot. Trim off any twisted or circling roots and repot. Winter Yellows will resolve itself as soil and weather warm up, providing tree has sufficient nutrients. Fertilize with Citrus fertilizer and water in. Do not overwater in cold weather.
Hope this helps.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce