Corn growing experiment in Perth

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Corn growing experiment in Perth

Postby kombi69 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Love my homegrown corn. A summer growing highlight. I'm trying a new method this summer to suit Perth's sandy soils. Rather than hill up as the corn grows I have sown seed at the bottom of 100mm deep trenches. As the plants grow the idea is to fill in the trench. Hopefully this will encourage more root growth without the need to try to hill with sand, not always successful. been a slow start to the season with Perth not experiencing too much of spring yet. I'll start taking progress photos.
kombi69
Head Gardener

Re: Corn growing experiment in Perth

Postby tam » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Sounds good. Are you adding plenty of mulch to your soil to help retain the water?
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby kombi69 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:27 pm

yes, always mulch heavily later, from when the plants are about 300mm high. The mulching encourages some aerial/feeder roots, I'm hoping my"idea" will more consistently develop additional feeder roots. I say "idea" because native populations of the Americas in dry regions have done the deep planting for years.
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby Sam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:53 pm

Sounds like a great idea - will try next time we plant corn. We have a daughter with braces so not allowed to at the moment...plus every time we used to plant it SEQ would flood...
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby MarkSindone » Fri May 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Can't wait for the pictures! Let us know a bit more about your setup. If you're able to get a pretty decent crop going where you are, perhaps there's hope that I MIGHT be able to get some ears growing where I am in Sydney too. Looking forward to your update then!
Mark Sindone @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/sydney/sydney-inner-west/
MarkSindone
Cultivator

Postby markgrogan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 pm

I like the idea of growing them in a trench as it can be more easily obtained in a housing area as compared to a 'hill' method of planting. I will try to build a simple trench using a large storage container which has been lying around the house abandoned. Would love to see your progress photos though to better understand the concept that you are planting. Thanks!
Mark Grogan @ http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/facilities/storage-wollongong/
markgrogan
Pruner

Return to Fruit and Produce