Hybrid hydroponic setup?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Hybrid hydroponic setup?

Postby Brewer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to set up a productive salad and herb garden. I have an old aviary behind the house which I'm planning to 'invert', to keep critters out rather than in (although I may still design a way to run chickens in there beneath the salad).

I'm picturing a series of small pots set into plastic pipes, or on wet gravel beds for example - basically a nice easy way to rotate produce and keep everything appropriately fed and watered with minimal labour, without going to a full hydroponic system.

Has anyone got any experience they can share to help me get started? Ideas for keeping the pots reliably moist, using minimal technology?
Brewer
Propagator

Re: Hybrid hydroponic setup?

Postby greg.l » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Personally I think it is easier to grow herbs in the ground, then you can just use dripper tube and a solenoid with controller. A garden bed can be almost a large "pot" if you raise the beds with lots of compost and soil. With a mix of compost, sand and fertiliser you can make a bed that you can plant out with different herbs and water the whole thing with dripper tube. it is similar to hydroponics but easier to manage.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce