curled leaves on tomatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

curled leaves on tomatoes

Postby Drewberg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Hello,

My tomatoes have been mostly growing pretty happily so far this year (my first in a new house). I have them growing in a few different spots, some in a wicking bed and some in normal garden beds. Recently however I've noticed that the new leaves on quite a few plants are curled inwards and a little deformed. I can't figure out what it might be. It seems that tomato leaf curl virus doesn't exist in Melbourne so it surely can't be that. And the images I've found for physiological leaf roll don't look right either. I've attached a few photos. I'm curious to hear what you think.

So far the plants still seem pretty healthy and happy. Fruit is setting and growing well.

A lot of other things in my garden are struggling to get going though and showing signs of an array of nutrient deficiencies. It seems that my soil is slightly alkaline, which could be preventing nutrient availability.

Just for fun, I wanted to try growing some tomato plants from cuttings. I pruned some bits off some of the healthiest plants and planted them in a pot in potting mix. They have taken, and are also showing signs of the leaf curl. This is despite growing in a different medium, which suggests it's a condition inherent to the plant itself, rather than related to nutrients in the soil. I'm pretty sure that the plants they were taken from weren't yet showing signs of the curled leaf yet when they were cut.
20161211_193234.jpg
Attachments
20161211_193414.jpg
The cuttings
20161211_193320.jpg
Drewberg
Lawn trimmer

Return to Fruit and Produce