Something is eating my broccoli....

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Something is eating my broccoli....

Postby philippa7 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:44 am

Hi,

Someone..or thing is eating my broccoli leaves.

Anything natural you could suggest that would deter the pests would be great.

So far I have stuck to my organic garden mantra and I don't want to break it now.

:D
Philippa
philippa7
Cultivator

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:10 am

Hi Phillipa,

Can you see who it is that's eating the leaves? There have been a few cabbage white butterflies around Melbourne lately (and I'd go white oil or a derris dust as that's what in the garage) and the snails and slugs are now on the move - might be time for a beer trap?

Let's hope the little beasties don't try eating the really good bits!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby philippa7 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 am

I have seen a few white moths. will try the oil...

how do I set up the beer trap...and not catch my hubby?
Philippa
philippa7
Cultivator

Postby Luzy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:39 pm

:lol: :lol: Depends on how desperate your hubby is...

If it is the cabbage white grubs that are eating your broccoli, you should be able to see them (or most, anyway :roll: ) and pluck them off for the squash - and let the white oil get the others.

I've actually got a manufactured snail/slug trap that you bury the bottom half of in the ground. But I saw on Gardening Australia that you can also use a jar - exactly the same principle. Fill the jar to about 1/3 or a 1/2 with beer, and then push the bottom of the jar into the ground, but on an angle so that the top is level(ish) with the ground. The snails and slugs - and slaters! - can then go in for a drink and never come out. Until you empty the jar, that is. Bet hubby doesn't want the beer then!

I have read that you can also use something else as a bait - perhaps it was soapy water, but I've never tried that. :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Cornonthecob » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:23 pm

If you get up real early....go out and catch the little buggers in the act. Great food for your chooks if you have any.
Cornonthecob
Weeder

Postby philippa7 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 pm

thanks...

I have seen the little nibblers. They are a lovely green colour. Would look great as a funky colour for clothes...but not so nice eating my garden.

I will continue to squash them and try the white oil. I am also going to give the beer trap a go.

Man...I just love my garden. Thanks guys. :)
Philippa
philippa7
Cultivator

Postby BaZ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi, I'm new around here and love the forum from what i have seen!

I also have something eating my broccoli. It's not the cabbage moth grub I don't think, it's something bigger which is eating big chunks of the leaves from the outside and working its way in. Does this sound like snails or slaters? Or am I looking for something more like birds or possums?
BaZ
Pruner

Postby Luzy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:46 am

Hi BaZ, and welcome to the forum.

'Chunks' of leaves getting eaten does sound to me like caterpillars??????? If it was snails, there would probably be a bit of slimy evidence and, around here anyway, slaters tend to eat stuff that's close to the mulch rather than heading up for exposed bits. Can you do a close inspection and see if you can find any beasties?

Sorry but I can't help out with possum damage as 9crossing fingers big time here) the few possums in our area don't seem to find my garden attractive.

What area are you in, BaZ? (and you can edit your profile so your location appears along with your name)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Ace » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 pm

If you are using white oil Peter Cundal showed us how to make it for next to nothing on the weekend. Put half a cup of water in a bottle with a cup of vegetable oil and a couple of drops of washing up detergent and shake it until it turns to a white liquid and the water has combined with the oil. It will settle out if you dont put the detergent is, so the detergent isnt necessary but you will need to shake it more often. This is the same as white oil, just cost 5c instead of 5plus dollars. Matt
Ace
Curator

Postby Yeehah » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:34 pm

It takes a lot of beer to fill half a dozen beer traps! Danged if I'm gonna spend money on getting snails drunk.

Another suggestion I read was to fill the traps with yeasty water. I have an old margarine container sitting in the sun in the kitchen atm, half a teaspoon of breadmaking yeast in a cup of warm water, hoping it will be a bit fermented by this evening.

I guess I should go and place the little green snail spas in some appropriate spots in the garden, ready for baiting!
Yeehah
Propagator

Postby Lucky1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:42 pm

Do you know those little green grubs only scream for 5 seconds if that........ when they are steamed???? :wink:

What I did was each morning and night I'd collect any grubs off the leaves and fed them to the paroles (chooks) and they gobbled them up.

My whole broccoli harvet was grub free. Mind you I am at home and have the time to do this......
Hugging a duck can leave you feeling sloppy:D

http://luckysduckfarm.blogspot.com/

http://myknittingbox.blogspot.com/
Lucky1
Senior Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:27 pm

So, Lucky1, if you let the chooks out for a short time, would they demolish just the grubs, or the whole plant as well?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Lucky1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Well I used to let them out every day and not a problem. But the I got the FABLESS 4 ( were the fab 4 but hubby is a beatle fan :oops: )

4 beautiful white leghorns. They keep jumping the "People Fence".... and making a real mess of the vegie patch.

So now I call the hens the Paroles as I have to stay outside when they are in the duck run loose.

So if I spent some hours in the garden, I will let them out on parol and entice them back into their run with the kitchen scrap bucket.

Lucky1
Senior Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:51 pm

:lol: :lol: That's good to know. I've always had this vision that chooks could be the be-all etc in pest eradication - except that they also love all the other things in the vegie patch!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Lucky1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:55 pm

Yes a chook owes you no favours when she sees a garden full of mulch and greens..... that means worms and grubs and just plain fun for them :D

Love them to bits though.......LOL

Lucky1
Senior Curator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:18 am

Lucky1 wrote:Yes a chook owes you no favours when she sees a garden full of mulch and greens..... that means worms and grubs and just plain fun for them :D

Love them to bits though.......LOL

Yeah I love them to "on a plate and roasted with veges" yum,yum :D :D :roll:
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Lucky1 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 am

Me too but don't tell my paroles that :wink:

Lucky1
Senior Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce