Help! Emergency grapevine recovery from cuttings?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

Help! Emergency grapevine recovery from cuttings?

Postby Brewer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 am

Hi everyone, a bit of a disaster - a long-established, but slightly neglected (and unsupported) grapevine has lost an argument with a passing tractor, and completely snapped off near the root.

Turns out the poor little thing has a colourful history (raised from a cutting that may or may not have been stolen from a famous winery and smuggled back into Australia in the late 1970's) so I'd love to save it if at all possible.

I have filled a bucket with cuttings (some green, some woody) and while they don't look happy they don't look entirely dead either. I have no idea what to do with them next, so I could really use some help. A dab of rooting compound and into a standard potting mix? Anything else?

There's always the hope that the root might put up some new shoots, but the damage is significant :(
Brewer
Propagator

Re: Help! Emergency grapevine recovery from cuttings?

Postby abwal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:47 am

I like to use river sand for cuttings. ( It is generally not as fine as beach sand.) Try placing plastic bags over some of the pots containing cuttings. Make sure the cuttings get good light but not full sunlight. Keep the potting medium moist but not wet. Try a variety of methods to maximize your chances of success. Hormone (rooting) powder is good.
Some growers have success with keeping the cuttings in water until roots form.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce