Cabbage Moth how to control naturally

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Cabbage Moth how to control naturally

Postby Country gardener » Fri May 05, 2006 9:06 pm

Any hints on how to combat cabbage moth naturally?
Thanks
Colin
Country gardener
Groundsperson

Postby kitkat » Sun May 07, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi Colin,
One non chemical way is to make tiny butterfly shapes out of old plastic icecream containers and put them on a stick in the garden ...you need quite few though. It makes the cabbage moths think there are already too many moths about and they go elsewhere.

You can also safely use the powder that is a stomach toxin...it doesn't hurt anything but caterpillars...can't think of its name right now ...having a blank.It is approved for Organic use though.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun May 07, 2006 3:20 pm

Apart from dusting regularly with a pyrethrum dust, which I'm not good at remembering to do, I try to minimise damage by getting rid of the eggs as they're laid and also squishing the grubs. I have managed to keep most of the butterflies out by draping the garden bed with two layers of bird netting - but I've never had any real success with any of the brassicas, except for some of the Asian types, so I think I'll have to stick with them!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:51 am

The stuff approved for organic gardens that gives the moths tummy ache is called bacteriosis thurungiensis, or something like that. Commecially you can buy it as 'Dipel". It comes as small sachet of powder that lasts for ages and goes a long way....I did 2 huge cherry trees and a pear tree, both ground in early spring and leaves 2 or 3 times per summer for about 5 years, plus some vege beds, on one sachet which is still not quite empty. you mix a tiny bit in water and spray it.
Alternatively, I have heard that sprinkling plain flour on damp plants discourages them because the flour gets into their breathing bits and clogs them up.
Or you can use nets...flywire or old net curtains.
Some very smelly things are supposed to work, because themoths find the brassica by smell. Peppermint is one of the recommended things to grow next to them, but I never found it very successful. Maybe diuted oil would work better. Hyssop was another thing, but I cuoldn't get it to grow well enough to work.Cordelia[/quote]
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby gardenlen » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:34 am

g'day colin,

the best control right up front is to grow your cabbages etc.,. in the late autumn/winter months when the moth isn't around.

the next best is to cover the plants with mozzy net or similar, and i have heard of the making plastic imitation butterflies out of plastic icecream container lids (white i think), so you might try that.

for me the wintery months will do me

len :)
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Return to Fruit and Produce