interplanting with strawberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

interplanting with strawberries

Postby Ann » Tue May 30, 2006 1:08 pm

Any suggestions? Not lettuce please as I'm not fond of the stuff and they do not grow for me=obviously they KNOW :lol: :lol: I have just put in some vege seeds-baby carrots, onions and spinach of which I have plenty seeds. How about Chard?
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Tue May 30, 2006 4:47 pm

Chives would do well with strawberries...

So would parsley:)

Not sure about the others.
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Tue May 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi Ann,

It's nice that the lettuce listen to you... My companion planting book says yes for strawberries and: 'borage, lettuce (sorry), spinach, sage and pyrethrum'. It says no to 'cabbages, cauliflowers, Brussels sprouts, gladioli, tomatoes, broccoli and garlic'.

At the moment, I have strawberries that are running riot (I'll get around to fixing that soon) though perennial candytuft, rosemary, alyssum and the last stalks of the Regal lillies. I've never seen them so rampant! :shock: Chard might be along the spinach line. :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Wed May 31, 2006 11:51 am

I have a Roma tomato from a seedling which is growing beside the strawberries and is still producing tomatoes :D Maybe the spinach, but I was not thinking of any of the brassicas. I knew about borage and did put some in last year and like my Triffid it grew to massive proportions in several places. I think asparagus was another and I have moved some of both to another area close by so will see what happens. :D The asparagus is in trenches and the strawberries on the ridges. There is one of the salvias nearby which also needs to be cut back and split up. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Wed May 31, 2006 7:18 pm

Asparagus can live at least 20 years - make sure you put it where you want to keep it.

Having said that - you can't beat picking your own and taking it inside and cooking it!

Discovered something new for it - use as 'soldiers' with a soft boiled egg - delicious!!!!!!
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Wed May 31, 2006 8:57 pm

I have chamomile and strawberries under a plum tree, and while I never get many berries, they all look healthy.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce