Handy hint

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Handy hint

Postby midgin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:25 pm

If you buy shallots and don't intend to use all of them...pop them in the ground...they continue to grow...true...
Last edited by midgin on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:35 pm

yes, I bought a cheap packet in the supermarket, and now on my second season of them. Most onions, garlic and indeed potatoes will go ok straight from supermarket to garden.

Hint: For anyone with caged birds, chuck some bird seed in the ground, they love the fresh stuff, and much cheaper than buying the dried millet sprays, it is a bountiful return for a few spoons of seed.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby midgin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi Modesty...I even put carrots in the ground once...some remained A-OK..a couple rotted...I am glad to hear that someone else has heard of this hint, thank you!
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:32 pm

Midgin, same goes for lettuce..if you take off the lettuce leaves place the "roots" into the ground ...I have on many occasions..managed to have a re-run from a bought lettuce!!
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby Pokie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:44 pm

Yes, I do that with potatoes. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:45 pm

Dont forget things like Garlic, Onion and ginger too. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 pm

Yes, we always do this with lettuces ... and then we just pick the lettuce leaves as we need them ... so they're there for ages, especially during the cool weather, and we always have crisp fresh lettuce leaves (Y) ;)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:09 am

Yes, Midgin, I always do that with shallots too - why pay more for a punnet you have to wait for when you can have a bunch already grown?!

I hadn't thought of the lettuce - great idea! Thanks.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:18 pm

the lettuce sounds pretty funky idea- I am keen to try.

I have potatoes growing as weeds now, anyone else with this problem? They are taking over my carefully netted and longed for sweet peas :x

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby midgin » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:58 pm

Modesty...I don't know if I should admit to this :oops: ..... I grow sweet potatoes as a ground cover in some areas...I thin them out every so often. and the weirdest thing, the area that doesn't get much sun has the best white sweet potatoes I have ever seen...odd
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:39 pm

I have a few sweet potato plants growing and I'd be quite happy to use them as ground cover, even if they did not produce tubers. :D But I live in hope as they are still alive. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:03 pm

Like you Ann my sweet potato tubers have not done a lot this year so I am going to let them stay there for another year and see if that helps , maybe they needed time to acclimatise or I put them in too late but the growth just got to about 60cms and then the first frost bit them back.poor things.
I l;eave some garlic in the ground year round and let it grow on , I cut the stems if I need some garlicy greens ,if I have used up all the dried garlic by then.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce