Spuds.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Spuds.

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:21 pm

Evening all,

I am thinking about growing some spuds soon :D
So :!: :!: I would like to know everybodies ideas on how they do there
spud growing.
This will be a first time for me :roll: :roll:

Regards,
Paul. 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:43 pm

Evening Paul,

Now, why did I think that you already had heaps of spuds happening along???

Anyway, It sounds like your garden beds will be well and truly ready for some spuds, with all that compost and mulch and worming you've been doing. I can only add what I've done the last two seasons, which I think has worked out well.

I've tucked the spuds into the soil a bit, without digging too much more, so they're well and covered, and then heaped pea straw over the bed - probably about eight inches worth. When the sprouts started to show, I've put more pea straw around so the sprouts just have their noses above it and tried to do that as the plants grew. (Gets a bit hard after a while.)

Mind you, I'm imagining that my beds need a heap more organic stuff than yours do, so I don't mind using so much mulch.

But, the mulch makes it nice and easy to have a peek and see when the spuds are of an eating size. We start eating them as soon as they're chat-size, and then I just harvest what we need when we need them. Must admit that I'm not too confident about waiting for just one harvest after the plants die down as I don't think I'd be too good at the 'storage' bit of it.

Have you decided what types you'll try yet?

:D 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:15 am

Morning Luzy,

Is Pea straw the same as Sugar cane mulch :!: :!:
I am thinking about putting in some Sebago and some Pontiac I am not sure about Desiree as yet.
My daughter in law has been dropping hints about growing some spuds and thought that its about time I gave it a try.
I have extended one of my vege patch,s for the collies carrots silver/spinach onions and a hole heap of other things without interfering with grand daughters play area (I have been told by daughter.)
I have used the side of the yard to extend and there is more room than I first thought (you beauty.) Im not going to tell daughter that though 8) 8) :roll:
So things are looking good at the moment.
I cant do much at the moment as it is and has been raining and for that I am not complaining at all.
Any more info on the spuds will be appreciated.

Regards,
Paul. 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:50 am

Morning Paul,

I guess that the two mulches would be similar, though pea straw is a legume and I can't imagine that sugar cane is! The sugar cane mulch should keep the moisture in and the tiny 'taters nice and dark just as well as the pea straw.

Something that I tried with the last batch of spuds was to keep some of the crop that had shot before I could get to it and planted that again - so we're getting a bit of a winter crop, nothing huge, but it's really nice being able to grab a handful of potatoes to go with dinner.

Your garden sounds like it's stretching rather well 8) 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:45 pm

Afternoon Luzy,

I will try and chase up some pea straw from somewhere I guess from a nursery like "Flowerpower" or Damiens favourate store "Bunnings" unless
you or someone else can give me some direction as to where I can get some.
This garden is streching very well considering that my daughter came up with a thought about it a couple of weeks ago and I,m not game enough to say anything to her either for fear of her saying "I told you so". :roll: :roll:

Regards,
Paul. 8) 8)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:20 am

Morning Paul,

I wouldn't rush out and buy pea straw if you've already got heaps of sugar cane mulch...

I've bought the pea straw from Damien's favourite store and a different brand from a KMart garden centre. The first type I prefer, as it's fairly rough, has heaps of peas in it (just to grow in the way of everything else :roll: ) and seems to hold its form as it composts down (if that makes sense). On ocassions it has been rather dusty, though.

The other had a more 'shredded' texture and, while it was a lot easier to put around seedlings etc, it just seems a bit fluffy and goes a bit dense once it's watered.

The main reason I've stuck with pea straw is that all the lucerne and sugar cane mulch I've seen has been heaps price-ier for less product. I'd really love to be able to go to a produce store and get it by the bale. Oh well!

The spuds have been pretty easy to look after so far - not much in the way of pests (a few aphids, a few slugs eating the leaves - just the usual). I've never bothered to fertilise them after doing the bed up in the beginning and they seem ookay. Len's website would probably have more on potatoes.

Hope you're having a nice weekend (and it sounds like you'd better keep quiet about your garen plans!) 8) 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby mic » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:43 pm

Lizy do you use the pea straw under your roses and if so has it increased the amount of disease at all????
I've mulched heavily with pea straw for about a year now (we grew field peas in 04 and baled the straw) but my roses have had more disease this year than ever. Any tips anyone? I read somewhere that I might need to remove all the old mulch and start with fresh.
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:40 pm

Ooh, mic - let's start a new thingy in roses - see you there! :D (I've also been wondering about good/better mulches for roses)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:15 am

I have a heap of potatoes growing like weeds in improved clay soil. I have tried heaping straw around them, but birds defeated that effort. I have also got a huge crop from a pile of grass clippings on the lawn, throwing potatoes on, then more grass. They did have a few soggy moulds, but I think I left them too long in the grass, and the majority were fine.

Make sure you dry them for a day or so before storing so they keep better.

A stack of tyres is also another idea i have seen, but not wanting the place to look like a tip, havent tried. You put the potatoes in about 2 tyres up, then put more on as they grow and tuck compost and straw around.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:39 am

I never thought of just chucking on grass clippings, but there are so many weeds in it that I either bin it, :oops: or last time just piled it up to see if the weeds will die :oops: I got some lovely potaoes last week and while it's not recommended, I peele a bit more off and planted the peels in a trench ready for covering later :oops:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby tomato grower » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:46 pm

Modesty wrote:
A stack of tyres is also another idea i have seen, but not wanting the place to look like a tip, havent tried. You put the potatoes in about 2 tyres up, then put more on as they grow and tuck compost and straw around.

Modesty

I have mine growing in old car tyres this year and they are booming.
I am about to put on my third tyre high this week. I will post a picture later this week if I get time.
tomato grower
Propagator

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:01 pm

tomato grower wrote:
Modesty wrote:

Modesty

I have mine growing in old car tyres this year and they are booming.
I am about to put on my third tyre high this week. I will post a picture later this week if I get time.

When you get time I would like to see a photo 8) 8) :)
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:13 pm

Hi TG - nice to see you back again. And also nice to see that your garden's still thriving. :D

Evening Paul,

If you do go for a tyre/potato stack, I hope that you realise you'll have to save at least one to make a tyre swing for your granddaughter! 8)

(And I read up about potatoes after your request - I don't think that I gave you the 'correct' advice :oops: Just what had worked for me... :oops: )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:45 am

Luzy wrote:Hi TG - nice to see you back again. And also nice to see that your garden's still thriving. :D

Evening Paul,

If you do go for a tyre/potato stack, I hope that you realise you'll have to save at least one to make a tyre swing for your granddaughter! 8)

(And I read up about potatoes after your request - I don't think that I gave you the 'correct' advice :oops: Just what had worked for me... :oops: )

Morning Luzy,

I dont think I need to worry about a swing dear daughter has in place a swing set already (at her expence of course.) 8)
What is your correct advise Luzy keeping in mind that this will be the first time for growing spuds for me.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:33 am

Morning Paul,

I still stand by my 'advice' about the mulch and all that but it seems that a couple of my books say to give them a heap of fertiliser before planting, and in another one it says not to add lime. I've only used compost, blood and bone and dynamic lifter at planting and never bothered to add more fetiliser as they grow. :? I'm imagining that your soil is already rich, well drained and sunny. I'm sure there can't be any secret about growing spuds... :roll:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:28 am

By just adding mulch as the plants grow, you get a clean crop :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby tomato grower » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi shotgun
I started mine in a pile of compost in the ground and added the tyres as the plant got higher. When I add a tyre I half fill it with suger cane mulch and the rest with compost, all seems to be going ok so far. (yn)

I took a couple of pics this afternoon.

And a shot of my chooks as well.

Last edited by tomato grower on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomato grower
Propagator

Postby Pokie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:48 pm

Wow! You have such a healthy garden! Well done. :D

Is that a bunch of pawpaws I see in the 3rd photo?
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby tomato grower » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:18 pm

Pokie wrote:Wow! You have such a healthy garden! Well done. :D

Is that a bunch of pawpaws I see in the 3rd photo?

Yes, that is a paw paw to the left, it grows well next to the compost bin.

Luzy wrote:Hi TG - nice to see you back again. And also nice to see that your garden's still thriving. :D

Hi Luzy

It's good to have a little time post here again, I have been keeping myself very busy for the last few months.Building chook pens and retaining walls and of course gardining.
tomato grower
Propagator

Postby Luzy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:44 pm

Yup, you sure have been busy all right! While your spuds look fantastic, I really like your industrious area - with the chooks, compost bin and greenhouse. Are the chooks laying yet?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce