Spuds.

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Postby Pokie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:39 pm

I bet it grows great next to the bin!
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby tomato grower » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:14 pm

One chook is laying the other one should be starting any time soon.

Here is a wider pic of my little veggie patch.

Today was the first time I have taken any pictures of the garden for months.
tomato grower
Propagator

Postby Pokie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 pm

Wow! That is a very small pawpaw plant for so many, or am I wrong? :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:33 pm

Great pics TG, just shows what one can do in a small space, your garden and chooks all look healthy and happy, bet they like to get out and scratch though.

My chooks were badly traumatised by my neighbours dog who came to visit on the back of the ute and it was off and running before we could stop it, and chased the poor girls, only three are laying now, two lost some feathers before we caught the damn dog so they are very upset. I have spent the past two days rebuilding a new pen yard so they will never be caught out again , they now have an "upstairs" entrance so they can escape easily if they are chased again.And my neighbours will keep the dog away if they can as they were as upset as me I think.It's a natural thing for a dog to do, if they run it will chase them, especially as its young too but now it's done it once it will always try so better be safe is my thinking.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby cordelia » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:06 pm

Dear kitkat,
awful about the dog and chooks. Glad they are sort of OK. I have trained the neighbour's dog to find chooks uninteresting :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: by applying a generous dusting of hot paprika powder (chili would do the same) around the outside of the chookpen, and then inviting the dog in for a fairly unimpeded visit. Chooks don't seem to notice the heat, and anyway it is outside the pen. It is also how I encourage possums not to love silverbeet.....
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Modesty wrote:
A stack of tyres is also another idea i have seen, but not wanting the place to look like a tip, havent tried. You put the potatoes in about 2 tyres up, then put more on as they grow and tuck compost and straw around.

Modesty

Many years ago a friend of mine tried a similar idea using a 44 gallon drum. The idea was that you started with a small layer of soil at the bottom and as the foliage grew you gradually added more soil in layers. I guess the tyres do the same thing, but save a lot of bending into a big drum.

My friend started with two or three pieces of sprouted potato and slowly built up the layers. Weeks later we all gathered expectantly round for the feast day when the drum was to be emptied and the booty pounced upon. 44 gallons of potatoes was going to yield an awful lot of chips... :wink:

With great ceremony the drum was turned over and the contents spread across the the ground...... When it was all sorted and tallied it added up to 44 gallons of soil plus the orginal chunks of potato and some foliage from the top. Not one additional spud. :oops: :lol:

Not sure what he did wrong as he wasn't motivated to try it again. A shame, as I believe it does work if you do it right.

Cheers, Chris
Chris C
Curator

Postby Spider Lily » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:59 am

My dad has grown potatoes in "cages". Same idea as the tyres however he used 4 garden stakes and chicken wire. They were about 2 feet in diameter. When ready he just untied the chicken wire and then collected the spuds.
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Previous

Return to Fruit and Produce