Berry plant supply?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Berry plant supply?

Postby cordelia » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:59 am

Does anyone know where to get loganberry and youngberry and silvanberry and raspberry plants in small quantities (one or two of each, not by the hundred metres!)? Preferably bare-rooted, online, by post.

I got them some decades ago from somewhere in the silvan/monbulk area, but my feeble internet searching didn't come up with anywhere in Australia. Ta, Cordelia
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby enrico » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:16 am

I see GE have quite a few berries in their Winter catalogue. :) Diggers have them too :wink: What are silvanberries?
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:18 am

Cordelia, a local place that would supply some of them is Bunnings and Yarralumla Nursery. Have a look at them. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:18 pm

GE is your best start, then maybe Blue Lake nurseries in the Dandenongs, not too sure who has Silvanberries these days though.Van Berkels used to have them a long time ago , not sure now.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pokie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:30 pm

AND of course, I would try GE as well, over most of the other mail order companies.
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Bulbinella » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 am

Try New Gippsland Seeds & Bulbs, I think you'll find they stock all you are after. They are in Silvan, VIC.

http://www.newgipps.com.au/
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:03 am

Dear Bulbinella,
Many thanks for the link. It is just what I wanted. I think they are the company I have been trying to find, but couldn't remember their name, and they didn't show on any of my searches. I bought lots of stuff from them about 20 yrs ago, and I'm still eating the raspberries and boysenberries. Unfortunately the chooks dug too much around the loganberries and they couldn't cope with exposed roots in the drought, hence the search.
Now I am broke but happy.... at least until I have to find a place for all the new things I bought.
Has anyone had Jostaberries?
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby enrico » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:08 am

Cordelia :) what are silvanberries :?:
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:21 am

Yeah, what are Silvanberries and Jostaberries?
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Silvanberries are a type of bramble, a blackberry cultivar, I suppose. Somewhere I saw them listed as an American blackberry, but I thought they were actually developed by someone in the group of clever nurserypeople in Silvan in Victoria....the area of our esteemed GE. Hence the name silvanberry. They have fruit like fat juicy blackberries.

Jostaberries have'Fruit large like the Gooseberry, with the colour of the Black Currant. Excellent tart taste. Use fresh or in preserves. Plants to 2 m tall'
Haven't grown one yet, but will keep you informed of progress.

Have a look on the link that bulbinella sent , and go to the' fruits and edibles'.
I think that growing your own berries is fantastic. SOOOO yummy. Bought ones are never ripe enough because ripe ones can only travel as far as the mouth, though when there are plenty they have been known to travel as far as the freezer....freeze on trays, then put into containers, then they don't go mushy.

When my raspberries were in good health, I would get 1or 2 kilos off each plant.....and at $7.50 for 350g or 500gif you buy them, that seems good value. More to the point, they are nicer, and appear for weeks at a time. I am trying to get a series of different types of raspberries to extend the season, and with other types of brambles and blueberries and strawberries, I hope to have a continuously yummy summer and frozen-berry winter. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Here's to ambition...... :D :D :) 8) :lol: :lol:
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Pokie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Hmmm, never heard of it before. :)

Sounds delicious. :D

Let us know how you go growing/getting them. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby enrico » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:53 am

Thanks Cordilia :wink: It sounds like a great plan :) It appears that most of the nurseries are down that way ...............
enrico
Garden Wizard

Postby Bulbinella » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:50 pm

Cordelia, I'm glad that the link was just what you were looking for, I had a feeling that New Gipps was the nursery you could'nt remember, and thank you for the description of the berries, as my husband and I are just about to move into our own home, berries will be on my list of new foods to grow :lol:
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce