tomato seeds

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

tomato seeds

Postby hudsonhawkie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:19 pm

Does anyone know what time of the year to start planting tomato seeds in sydney?
hudsonhawkie
Propagator

Postby Pokie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:45 pm

I'd start in Mid spertember... or when the soil starts to warm.
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:32 am

Hi hudsonhawkie I have just planted tomato seeds in egg cartons. I have used gladwrap to kind of make a hothouse and during the day(when the weather is nice) I uncover them and late afternoon I cover them back up to protect them.
The first ones I planted about 4weeks ago are going great and I am waiting for the recent plantings to shoot through. To transplant I will cut out the bottom of the egg carton and plant as is (individually cut out) to minimise transplant shock.
I find September/October here in Sydney is perfect weather for fruit set and I try to get ahead by doing this (yn) .
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby hudsonhawkie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:35 am

spider lily

Are you in sydney ? when will you transplant them to the outside garden ? and how long do u keep it in the egg carton?
hudsonhawkie
Propagator

Postby Pokie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:04 pm

The eggcarton will break down gradeually in the soil. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:07 pm

I am in Sydney hudsonhawkie.

I will transpalnt the tomato seedlings when they are about 8 weeks old into some pots (with the egg carton still around,bottom cut out). The egg carton will break down and the tomato hopefully will not get too much transplant shock that way. I then plant into the garden mid September.

I find that in the middle of Summer my tomato plants get sunburnt so I try to have some going in early as well.
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Ann » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Egg cartons never work for me. Just use a recycled well cleaned seedling tray, or you can get them easily in supermarkets. :D I like the ones in Woollies which are light green and are easy for marking what's there if you only need a couple of this and that each. :D When you transplant, plant well down in the soil or mix for a better plant. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby hudsonhawkie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:19 pm

excellent...thanks

i'll start them some now....

i brought these polish tomato seeds. they suggest they get pretty big.....about 750g each. i hope they taste ok being such a big tomato
hudsonhawkie
Propagator

Postby Spider Lily » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:12 pm

Well those first seeds that I had planted were now about 4cms tall.

Today was a nice warm day here (22 deg) so I took the seedlings out (under some glass) and placed them in the sun. Lo and behold the #### wind came up and knocked the whole tray over :( :cry:

I am trying to salvage them but I think they are gone :cry:
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Luzy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:16 pm

Oh no!!! Disaster!!!! Good luck with the salvage - I hope you're nice and surprised, Spider Lily. (yn)

22 degrees????!!! A billboard in the city this afternoon said 9 here...
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce