Grape Expectations

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Grape Expectations

Postby onesimus » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:30 pm

At the back of my new house there's a large unruly grape vine spreading across wire above the side fence. It's been badly neglected and I'd like to do something with it to bring it back into shape before it starts its next season of growth.

How brutal can I be with pruning? I'd like to cut it back almost to the ground so I can start to train it to be a bit more orderly than in the past. I'd like to have it growing in some fashion similar to the vines in a vineyard but don't know whether it's too far gone to deal with it in that way.

Any suggestions?
onesimus
Propagator

Postby Pokie » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 pm

I reckon you could prune to the first healthy bud. You've got nothing to loose really...
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:42 pm

Hi onesimus,

It sounds like you've got a really exciting project going, with the new house and all. :D

While I can't offer any specific advice about grapes, if it's in the way of your new plan I'd say prune as much as you want. And there must be something in the way that vineyards prune seemingly right to the butt, otherwise they wouldn't do it (more than once...). As Pokie says, you've got nothing to lose.

Kitkat's got a great grape - and probably much more advice for you! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:53 am

Hi onesimus,

My dad has a grape growing over his pergola in the backyard and every year he gives it a hard prune as it grows right over the pergola and back down to the ground. It always comes back.

It seems to be quite hardy.
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby Ann » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:24 am

Grapes seem to need a really vigourous prune to produce good grapes. :D Just think of vineyards in winter :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:31 am

Yesterday I had a good look at my parent's grape vine and it does look like dead sticks when pruned but come spring it always bounces back with vigour
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi Onesimus,
I am in the process of pruning all my grapevines and I can tell you positively that you can cut it all back to the main trunk as long as you leave at least one bud on each branch you want to train but you can remove any branches you don't want entirely , Don't cut into the main trunk though, that will kill it.You can then train the leaders in any direction you want as they grow .

You can also prune them back a little if they grow where you don't want them later in Summer.It will put out a lot of growth so be prepared :o but think of all those lovely grapes you get after it reestablishes.! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce