Cherry Tomato - Which Variety

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Cherry Tomato - Which Variety

Postby DrDuncs » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:56 pm

I looking at planting some cherry tomotos this spring, but not sure which one of the many varieties to choose. Any suggestions from my fellow Victorians? I thought maybe Tiny Tom and they have to be suitable to grow in a pot?
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Ann » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:15 pm

Tommy Toe is reckoned to be the best, red or yellow, and any tomato can be grown in a pot. :D All thy need is food, water, suppport and sunshine :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:18 am

Yeah, I say Tommy Toe too. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 am

Hi DrDuncs,

The Tommy Toes have a wonderful flavour, bear over a long period and, like most of the cherry tomatoes, seem to be resistant to lots of yukky things. They can be very vigorous growers, though, and get branches almost a couple of metres long if you let them. Mind you, that means lots of tomatoes.

I've seen in nurseries other vareties of cherry tomatoes that have a more compact growth - but have never tried them to know how they taste or grow. Maybe someone else has? :?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:03 am

I have tried sweet cherry gold. A HUGE cropper. Definetly worth the $2.00 I payed for it! :lol:

I would also recommend that. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby DrDuncs » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:05 pm

Thank you all. Looks like I might be giving Tommy Toe a go. When's the best time to plant seeds?
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Luzy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:13 pm

It depends on what your microclimate is like, Dr Duncs. Here, in the south-east, on a bit of a hill so sunlight is not so direct, seeds have worked okay put in about the middle of September. Last year, bought seedlings worked really well when put in the first week of October.

This year (if I remember :oops: ) I plan on trying some seeds earlier and giving them a mini greenhouse with one of those covers from the packs of 100 CDs - just to see if they'll grow a bit quicker. I have tried seeds earlier than September, but they grew just as quickly (slowly) as ones put in mid-September.

If you're getting a pack of seeds, there'll be heaps, so you could try different times.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby DrDuncs » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Thanks Luzy. I'm out West and it's flat so it gets very windy although I can probably shelter them while they are young. I fashioned a mini greenhouse out of a plastic tub which worked wonders with clippings but haven't really tried it with seeds yet. I've got seed raising mix and seedling punnets so will see how I go.

Maybe I'll get a pack and try some in Aug, Sep and Oct and see which ones turn out best.
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Ann » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:34 am

As I have the propagator on anyway, I think I might just plant a couple of tubes with tomatoes. :D :D I have some Tommy Toe among others. :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce