Frost

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Frost

Postby Denise » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:07 pm

I've been away overseas for a few days. I left my tender plants covered, but there was some windy days and the covers blew off a few things. Then, of course, came the worst frosts we've had so far this winter :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm not sure exactly how cold, but apparently everyone had frozen water pipes :!:
I've returned to find all the leaves on my passionfruit have been frozen and are wilted and falling off. My lime also has been affected, the leaves have curled and are brittle and falling.
Has anyone else experienced this?? Are these plants dead, or is there a chance they might put out new growth in spring?
Denise
Head Gardener

Postby Pokie » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:31 am

I think the lime may die but the passionfruit you may have the tiniest chance of it surviving.

They really dont like the frost. :(
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Bulbinella » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:05 am

Denise, I'd prune them, but wait till all danger of more frosts is past, then once the weather starts to warm give them a feed and mulch them, you may not get as much fruit next season but if it helps them then thats a small sacrifice. (of course if theres no new growth in spring then unfortunately, their dead) fingers crossed!!!
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby Ann » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:31 am

Is it just the leaves that are black, because my Tamarillos did the same in a frost, :cry: but the stems are stilll green :D . If that's the case, just cover when you know there wil be a frost :D Plants are amazing at surviving and all you can do is wait :D
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Denise » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks for your responses. The passionfruit leaves are all dead, but the stems are still green and look alive, so maybe there's some hope.
Guess I'll just keep covering them on cold nights, and keep my fingers crossed until spring!
Denise
Head Gardener

Postby cordelia » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:34 am

If you give them a water with warm water and seasol(less than usual strength) it will help them to get over the shock of losing their leaves.

Even if you do nothing, they will probably flourish come the warm weather. The main problem is that if they are not hardened, their roots are not prepared, but the warm water and seasol helps absorption through the roots and they cope better. Don't worry too much...they usually WANT to grow, and will try their hardest.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce