Chilli problem

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Chilli problem

Postby Beginner Gardener » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:25 pm

I have 7 chilli plants and most of them have gone quite "lacklustre" and the leaves have gone a bit crinkly over past 3-4 weeks. They don't seem to be dying as new growth is still coming through. It has been quite cool and a little wet during this time in Perth- could this be the problem? Thanks in advance for any advice
Beginner Gardener
Groundsperson

Postby cordelia » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:44 pm

Could be too cool, but very likely also too wet. Chils are sort of annuals, though grow as perennials for a short time in good conditions. Prune it back just a little, and keep it warm dryish if you can, with plenty of light. You could adapt the better homes and gardens thing; line a box with silver foil and put it in an arc around the plant toreflect more sunlight onto it. Careful not to fry it, though. It can be very efficient.
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby gardenlen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:08 am

yes winter not the best season for these plants they are cousins of the tomatoes so generally considered a summer plant, i would also agreee the cold and if drainage is poor the wet, throuhg winter as they aren't doing much they need much less water.

would assume they are in the garden are they well mulched? this from wanting to keep the root runs warmer to help the plant.

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby Bulbinella » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 am

Yes, you can grow chillies as perennials, I have one potted, been going for on 3 years now, though I think this will be it's last.
They don't like cold wet weather, if they are mulched, remove it, it would only be keeping the plant too moist and the soil too cold.
I agree with Cordelia, give them a light prune now and another as the weather starts to warm. Good luck :D
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby Beginner Gardener » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Thank you all for your great suggestions but upon further inspection I realised my problem is...SPIDER MITES!!!

I have no idea what to do as I have not experienced this problem before. I have isolated the infected plants- are they beyond repair? :cry:
Beginner Gardener
Groundsperson

Postby Sam » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:00 pm

I thought I had spider mites in my roses - I just kept cutting off the affected part and putting in the rubbish - DEFINATELY NOT THE COMPOST!!

We took a sample to the GA expo and were told it was probably caterpillars.

Same thing, treatment wise, though I would say, except to put dipel on for caterpillars.

Anyway, cut off anything affected and see how they go.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:30 am

Somebody posted something about spider mites in the last couple of months...sorry I can't remember who or why or what they did, but I think they solved the problem. Does anyone remember?
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Beginner Gardener » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:14 pm

cordelia wrote:Somebody posted something about spider mites in the last couple of months...sorry I can't remember who or why or what they did, but I think they solved the problem. Does anyone remember?

I posted something on the general forum about spider mites and was led to the other discussions. I'll have to try cutting the plants down, too. Sounds like a good idea. I hope they survive!
Beginner Gardener
Groundsperson

Return to Fruit and Produce