Pumpkin recipes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Pumpkin recipes

Postby Luzy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:56 pm

Darn it!!!!! Something's decided to have a chew on three of my pumpkins, so there's going to be a forced glut real soon. :cry: :cry:

Do any of you good folk have some great pumpkin ideas, probably more so to make stuff to go in the freezer?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:58 pm

Pumpkin Risotto is delicious and really easy to make. Will post it soon. :)
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Bulbinella » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm with Pokie, deeeelicious.
Bulbinella
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:44 am

Luzy, If you run out of time and energy and recipes, you could just cut it up, steam it, and freeze it like that. Then use it in recipes later, so other ingredients will be fresh. Also saves freezer space, if that is an issue.
But roll on recipes!!!!!
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby sara » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:03 am

Me? I would make some pumpkin and sweet potato soup and freeze it for a later day (generally freeezes well). This recipe really doesn't rely on any hard and fast quantities - just add what you have.

Chicken stock - use enough to make sure the soup is liquid enough, but both the pumpkin and sweet potatoes will blend down to something liquidy, so don't get over enthusiastic (usually, once all the vegie ingredients are in, the stock needs to come half way up the pile of vegies, perhaps a bit more).

A quantity of loosely chopped pumpkin.

Ditto for sweet potato (again, quantities don't really matter, you can have less or more of each of these vegies)

Onions ... roughly chopped and however many you fancy for taste.

herbs and pepper and salt to taste.

Simmer away until vegies are soft, then blend the lot to a creamy consistency. Delicious.

I haven't made this at all this winter. Can't think why. Must remedy the situation.
Paradise hangs shadowed in the forgotten corners of gardens.
Come visit Sara and the cats at the restoration project at Nonsuch.
sara
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:18 am

Pumpkin scones - they'll freeze too!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:04 am

It's all sounding pretty good so far - thanks! Soup and scones are a good start (adding sweet potato is a great idea, thanks!) and I hadn't thought of or tried steaming and freezing it, cordelia - any idea how it unfreezes? (as in holding its shape and so on)

Please keep the ideas coming - I had thought about some pastie-style pumpkin things. Any tried and true recipes like that?
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:49 am

It unfreezes very mushily for me, but that is probably because I overcook it. :roll: If you want it to maintain shape it might be best to slightly undrecook it. Worth a try, anyway!
Nutmeg is yummy in any pumpkin-based dish. I love to grate it on at the end, then hang the grater up without washing it, and get the scent of nutmeg for a day or two.... :D
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:04 am

I found that roasting it worked, though it took almost as long to reheat again from frozen as it did to cook. Worth it though, I guess if you have the freezer room to store it.

On the subject of storing food, I got some bananas cheap a while ago, and froze them for the purpose of making smoothies etc and haven't gotten around to using them. I thought I'd buy hubby a 'treat' yesterday and get him a couple of fresh bananas. I knew they were expensive, but at roughly $2 each, they stayed in the store!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby DrDuncs » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:57 pm

Pumpkin soup is my favourite (other than roasted, but that won't do you much good here).

Here's a recipe we used at a dinner party recently:

It serves 4, and can be frozen for two months (without cream)

750g pumpkin
15g butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 bacon rashers, chopped
1 litre (4 cups) water
1 small chicken stock cube, crumbled
1/4 cup cream (this is only added when about to eat)

1. Remove skin and seeds from pumpkin, cut into small pieces.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan, add onion and bacon, stir constantly over heat until onion is soft.
3. Add pumpkin, then water and stock cube, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer for about 30 mins or until pumpkin is tender.
4. Remove saucepan from heat. Blend or process mixture in several batches until smooth.

5. When ready to use, return mixture to pan, stir in cream; reheat, stirring constantly without boiling.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Luzy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:05 pm

Now that soup sounds good, too.

Cordelia, I might try blanching some of it and freezing that. But I do love roast best... Any takers on the idea of blanching it as 'chips' and then roasting them from the freezer???

I might have to have a (gasp) pumpkin day on the weekend and see how enthusiastic I can get. :roll:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:14 pm

My gosh, how much pumpkin do you have?? :lol:

If you want to 'chip' it, my tendency would be to 'blanch' them in hot oil, rather than water, if you know what I mean? I think it might hold together better on thawing.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Denise » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:59 pm

My vote is for the 'roast first, then freeze' option. It's worked well for me - doesn't lose its flavour or go mushy. Leave the skin on - helps protect it from getting overdone when you are reheating it in the oven. Thaw completely before reheating.
Denise
Head Gardener

Postby mic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:15 pm

Hi Luzy, I have a pumpkin cake recipe (like a light fruit cake???) anyway it is very nice and freezes beautifully! :D let me know if you want the recipe.
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:16 am

That sounds good, mic - yes please. I did a google search and, apart from getting really bamboozled and annoyed with pop-ups, mainly found pumpkin pie - about 10 million (not quite) versions of it!!! It put me off without even trying one.

Hi Denise, nice to see you again. I particularly like your 'leave the skin on' suggestion - that's my kind of lazy cooking! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby mic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 am

Jills Pumpkin Cake
6oz butter
1c sugar
1 1/2 c SR flour
1/2 c cornflour
1 c warm mashed pumpkin
1 pkt mixed fruit
3 eggs
Beat butter, sugar, pumpkin and eggs
add flour and fruit. Bake for one hour in a moderate oven.

Hi Luzy this is easy and yum (the kids even like it!!) my mother in law doubles the recipe and cooks it in her roasting tray, and freezes half. It is always nice and moist. Enjoy your pumpkin day :lol: :lol:
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Luzy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Well, one pumpkin down and I'll keeping a really close eye on the other two as the insect 'chomps' are at the minute just drying over.

Thank you to everyone who has offered such great suggestions. The freezer now holds Pumpkin Soup, Jill's Pumpkin Cake, Pumpkin Gnochhi and Pumpkin Turnover thingies that were cooked with a butter chicken sauce.

Mic, please thank Jill for her recipe - very yum, even though I, umm..., well, didn't hear the timer go off :roll: :roll: So, even with an extra 20 minutes, it's still nice and moist. Whew!

I'm sure I'll be pumpkin-ing again soon! :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby mic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Glad you liked it Luzy!! Jill is my mother in law and she cooks cakes and things for the kids quite regularly and we always have a piece of this cake in our freezer.
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Yeehah » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 pm

I grew some Banana Jumbo Pumpkins inadvertently last summer. The chooks scratched the seeds out of their pen into the asparagus patch, and the Unidentified Cucurbit meandered up and over the chookhouse netting. It yielded about 10 pumpkins, smallest was about 4 or 5 kg (my kitchen scale only goes to 2kg), largest must've been closer to 8 or 9kg, over 2 foot long!

My strategy for Using A Whole Pumpkin Before It Disintegrates was (if I say so myself ;) ) quite innovative, especially when you don't want to make the family turn green at the site of orange food!

Day 1 - Cube as much pumpkin as will fit into largest soup pot. Add homemade chicken stock to within cooee of the top. Boil, simmer, load breadmaker. Dinner = pumpkin soup + homemade bread, mmmmmm!
- cube rest of pumpkin (not too small). Steam a large saucepan full, mash, cool, sit saucepan in fridge. Remainder of cubed pumpkin goes into clear freezer bags, suck the air out, seal. Place bags in vegie crisper of fridge.

Day 2 - Baking. Make triple batch of pumpkin choc orange cake (recipe below) using cold mashed pumpkin out of saucepanful in fridge. One cake feeds the hordes for afternoon tea AND/OR dessert after dinner. Slice remaining cakes, wrap individual serves in cling wrap and freeze for school lunchboxes.
- Dinner. Roast. With Baked Pumpkin (out of the freezer bags in the crisper).

Day 3 - Baking. Make triple batch of pumpkin scones (see recipe below) using cold mashed pumpkin out of saucepanful in fridge. If there's any left, make Curried Pumpkin Muffins (see recipe below) - as many multiples of the batch as is necessary to use up rest of cold mased pumpkin. When cold, wrap individual muffins in cling wrap and freeze for husband lunchboxes!
- Dinner. Make Savoury Pumpkin & Potato Patties (see recipe below) for dinner, serve with steamed vegies.

Day 4 - Breadmaker again. Reheat last of pumpkin soup (we have to have 2 pumpkin-soup-free days in a row or we can't face it again).
- If there is any cubed pumpkin still in freezer bags in the bottom of the fridge, you can cook it up to have mashed potato-and-pumpkin with yer sausages for dinner, and maybe use the rest to make another batch of fresh cakes OR muffins OR scones tomorrow.

And when it's all gone at the end of the week, celebrate the end of the pumpkin ................... until you're brave enough to face it ..... the next pumpkin, aaagggghhhh!!!!!!!!

-------------------

PUMPKIN CHOC-ORANGE CAKE

125g butter/marg, chopped
1 tablesp grated orange rind
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups SR flour
1 teasp bicarb soda
3/4 cup cold cooked mashed pumpkin
1 tablesp golden syrup
1/4 cup orange juic

Grease & flour 14 x 21 cm loaf pan. Combine all ingredients in bowl of electric mixer, beat on low speed until all ingredients are combined. Then, beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and changed in colour. Spoon and spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven 180oC about 55 mins.

------------------

SAVOURY PUMPKIN PATTIES

This is a "rule of thumb" recipe, practice will make it good!

Use cold mashed potato, mix with approx half that amount of mashed pumpkin. Whisk an egg for every 2 cups of combined cold mash, combine. Add a heaped tablespoon of SR flour, sifted with a bit of salt (my lot like it salty, about 1/2 teaspoon) per 2 cups of mash mix. If it's not coming together to a manageable doughy consistency, gradually add more SR flour. Form into patties, dust with flour.

Preheat a frying pan for a few minutes (more for a thick based pan), cover base with oil, shallow fry patties until golden brown and flour has cooked through. Might have to squash them a bit flatter when you turn them over the first time!

p.s. I have also tried whisked egg + leftover rice + mashed pumpkin + chopped leftover roast meat + SR flour patties. As long as the rice has gone sticky (e.g. what's left in the bottom of the rice cooker - not rinsed!) it works pretty well.

-------------------

CURRIED PUMPKIN MUFFINS

2 cups SR flour
1 cup plain flour
1 teasp bicarb soda
2 teasp sugar
2 teasp ground cumin
2 teasp ground coriander
1/2 teasp salt
1 cup cold cooked mashed pumpkin
2 tablesp hot vindaloo curry paste
1 egg
1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
1 cup milk

Grease 12 hole muffin pan (I use canola spray). Combine all ingredients in large bowl, stir with large metal spoon until just combined. Spoon mix into prepared pan. Bake Mod Hot oven 200oC about 25mins.

--------------------

PUMPKIN SCONES

Another rule of thumb recipe!

For every 1/2 to 3/4 cup of mashed pumpkin (less if it's runny, more if it's dry) - sift 2 cups SR flour into a bowl, rub in 30g margarine. Mix in mashed pumpkin. Add milk (soy or cow) until reach a good doughy consistency. Turn onto floured surface, roll/press flat till about 4cm thick, cut with round cutter, place on greased tray, brush tops with milk, cook in preheated hot oven 220oC until brown and risen.

WHEW! That was a longggg post, hope it's of some use!

:D
Yeehah
Propagator

Postby Lucky1 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Hey yeehah can I pop them on my Garden to Plate Blogg????

Be great when everyone is flushed with pumpkins.
Hugging a duck can leave you feeling sloppy:D

http://luckysduckfarm.blogspot.com/

http://myknittingbox.blogspot.com/
Lucky1
Senior Curator

Next

Return to Fruit and Produce