Grapes in pots?

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Grapes in pots?

Postby alkay » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:25 pm

Hello everyone,
We are building a new pergola and want a grape vine to cover it in summer as it will die back in winter to allow the sun in.
Is there a problem growing it in a large concrete tub or should it be planted in the garden. If okay, is there a suggested potting mix?
The Lord God saw all that He had made and behold it was very good!
alkay
Apprentice

Postby daffy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 pm

That's a really good question alkay.

I have never seen nor heard of one grown permanently in a pot.

My initial thought is no, because they get so top heavy they could keel a pot over.

But maybe in a pot they don't get as large :?: because the roots don't get a real go on???

Interesting :-?
Never believe anyone who says your proposed garden is too big!!!

Remember, treat others how you would like to be treated.
daffy
Gardening Sage

Postby alkay » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:37 pm

I understand about the stability of the pot but these take two people to move them when they're empty!
As for the roots....not sure.
Maybe I should phone a vineyard. :oops:
The Lord God saw all that He had made and behold it was very good!
alkay
Apprentice

Postby Luzy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:02 pm

Welcome to the forum, alkay!

Sorry I can't give you any first-hand advice but did find this bit of info on the internet:

http://www.weekendgardener.net/growing- ... n-pots.htm

- so it's certainly been done before!

I would imagine that the grape might not perform as well in a pot as in the ground - but I guess it depends on how you're imagining the pergola to be covered.

Good luck - and please do let us know how you get on as it sounds like an interesting project that would also be great for small backyards. :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby cordelia » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:07 am

alkay, there is a cafe in Canberra that has grown the same highly successful grapevines in pots for about 30 years, and they were a few years old when they came to the cafe.

The owner, Gus, wanted to produce a beautifully established outdoor cafe overnight, so he built the pergola and attached a canvas roof, and a very long pair of vines trailing greenly and lushly around the edge. Thus was born Canberra's outdoor cafe culture....until then no-one was allowed to have tables outside. took a few taking-downs and putting-up-agains, but he won in the end, bless his heart and coffee.

Anyway, it shows that grapes can certainly be grown well in pots, and they have a place in history in pots.
More seriously, I would be inclined to line the concrete pots with plastic (just around the edge, not on the bottom) because the grapes may not take too kindly to the limeyness of the concrete. Should be rich and fairly reasonably drained, but a bit of clayey soil mixed in with a potting mix wouldn't go astray, just to provide a bit of substance and water-holding and iron. The article that luzy posted a link to had some interesting comments about which grapes are better suited to pots...very interesting! Happy graping!
cordelia
Senior Curator

grapes in pots

Postby waterlillie » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:08 pm

mmmmmmmmmm good idea really. I am also trying to grow 3 varieties of grapes to cover a pergola. They haven't progressed much as yet. Any ideas about how to encourage them along..

Pots is a great idea if it works ---- it means you can move them after pruneing each year and put in other spots :wink:
waterlillie
Cultivator

Return to Fruit and Produce