lemon trees, sooty

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

lemon trees, sooty

Postby Andrea Cousins » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:55 am

What is the latest and greatest spray you can advise me to spray on my citrus trees which have black sooty stuff on the leaves and fruit? Many thanks, Andrea Cousins, West Aust

Email: cousi@wn.com.au
Time: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:43:08 UTC
Andrea Cousins

Postby Katherine » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:56 am

hi! i find that 'painting' the leaves with milk removes the black stuff. we had this problem on young citrus too but since regularly doing this (and taking out a shade tree) they seem a lot happier - and the ants aren't all over the leaves now either.... a big tree might be tricky though?!
Kath - south coast WA :)

Email: wildwood@comswest.net.au
Time: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:08:24 UTC
Katherine

Postby Kathy Faber » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:58 am

Hi Andrea,

thanks for your interesting question,
and Hi also to Katherine,
who answered your question,

I live in south east Queensland, and the young (4 year old) manderine and orange trees in our back yard have the same problem, with ants, scale and black soot. I was wondering what to do especially as they are toward over by very large and old mango trees next door. Last year we asked our neighbour to trim their trees, which they did, but our trees still get lots of shade.

I shall try with interest this "milk" tip (i presume just normal milk, maybe watered down?).

Hopefully, we shall all have better trees and fruit next year.

happy gardening
kathy

Email: benandkathfaber@hotmail.com
Time: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:37:56 UTC
Kathy Faber

Postby Andrea Cousins » Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:59 am

Hi Katherine, and thank you for your tip with the milk, i might try spraying it with my sprayer and see how that goes. I'll let you know. Bye for now, Andrea.C

Email: cousi@wn.com.au
Time: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 05:11:43 UTC
Andrea Cousins

Postby Andy Duff » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:00 am

'Sooty Mould' and ants are a by-product of an insect infestation, usually scale. The mould and ants live off the sugary substance that the scale produces. The ants will spread the mould. Improving the amount of sunlight the tree gets will certainly help but spraying with an oil based spray like Pest Oil will be the most effective way to control the problem. Once the scale is dead then the mould will gradually die and the ants will also leave. How about that?

Email: andy@duff.inbox.as
Time: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 04:07:02 UTC
Andy Duff

Return to Fruit and Produce