Growing Mangoes from seed

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Growing Mangoes from seed

Postby Jan Grantham » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:05 am

Hi there,
I was wondering if you could help me.
I planted a mango seed a few weeks ago and it has sent up 3 shoots,much to my amazement.
Could you please tell me if I can plant these out in the garden,or in a pot and are they suitable to grow in the PARAFIELD GARDENS Sth.Aust.area.
If you have any fact sheets on this I would be grateful and would reimburse your postage for it.
Thank you
Jan.

Email: denjan@picknowl.com.au
Time: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 04:46:17 UTC
Jan Grantham

Postby Faith Cook » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:06 am

Hi Jan,

Mangoes are amazing plants - They grow almost anywhere and sprout freely. I also live in SA - Near Largs. I have found that unless you have a nice warm spot mangoes suffer badly in our cold winters, but Peter Ingels down on Main North road stocks some more cold tolerent varieties.

Mango seedlings often take 7 - 9 years to fruit, where as grafted stock fruits a lot faster. Fuit is usually fine off seed grown plants, after the wait.
Faith Cook

Email: faith@deltaenvironmental.com.au
Time: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:38:28 UTC
Faith Cook

Postby Mandy » Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:41 am

Did you plant a seed from a "Bowen" mango?? I believe that this particular kind comes true to type, but that there will be variability in other kinds grown from seed.
Mandy
Head Gardener

Postby Ann » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:43 pm

I have just got a couple to shoot as well. You have to cut off all but the strongest shoot. This from the mouths of top gardeners, and mangos do come true to type. Mine will be in pots for a while and I have no idea where I can plant them. :roll:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce