Growing potatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Growing potatoes

Postby Lisa » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:12 am

We have just purchased a small amount of certified seed with a hope of growing some potatoes. Could you please advise as to the preparation required for the ground, before planting. Also, when is the best time to plant the seed in Victoria.

Cheers,

Lisa.

Email: lisaandgregg@bigpond.com
Time: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:42:06 UTC
Lisa

Postby Penny » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:17 am

Lisa I don't know too much about potatos, but my husband and I have also just purchased some seed potatoes. My husband is going to try the following method to grow our potatoes:

obtain 3 or 4 old tyres.
place one in a position in the garden where you wish to grow the potatoes and fill with soil.
plant the potatoes in the middle of the tyre.
when the plant shoots, place the next tyre on top and fill with soil
continue to do this until your potatoes show shoots at the top of the 4th tyre.
Care for them as usual.
At harvest time remove the top tyre and use the potatoes. Leave the remaining tyres in place as the potatoes won't rot (apparently) while they are stored in this way.

Don't know if this is true or not, but it's worth a try I guess.

Penny

Email: rogerandpenny@bigpond.com
Time: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:58:33 UTC
Penny

Postby green thumb » Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:18 am

Penny,

Love the idea of removing a level of tyre to harvest potatoes. I'm not sure if you need to go as high as 4 tyres though, it would make it pretty deep. I would thing 2-3 levels should do it. Good Luck!!

Email:
Time: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:36:05 UTC
green thumb

growing potatoes

Postby Lil » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:45 pm

I'm probably commenting too late for the flow of this topic but potatoes are easy. The tyre thing is good for space saving but the ground way is fine.
You dig trenches approx 40cm deep, 40 cm apart and add heaps of poo etc. Put the potato in the bottom of the trench and backfill just to cover it. Every week or so, check for shoots coming up. Heap up more dirt around base of shoot, just leave the growing tips. Over time, your trenches will grow into mounds. They then take time still to mature, into Jan/Feb before you can put your fist into the mound and rummage around. Go easy with the spade, you'll slice them!
Lil

Postby Mandy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:57 pm

There is actually another way to grow them, that I have read about (not actually tried though) - that is growing them under straw. Apparently, you just cultivate to soil and enrich it (as per normal, with compost, or whatever you would normally do), then put the seed potatoes on the soil, cover them with a thick layer of straw, and sprinkle on blood and bone and water well. They will supposedly grow quite happily like this, and when it is time to harvest, you simply lift the straw. I'll have to dig through my GA magazines, and find the exact method.......
Mandy
Head Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce